First Movie

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

First Movie

Post by Varthikes »

I tend to ask the question on every forum.

What would be the first movie you would show to someone from another world?
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Baraka

If you don't understand why, you should go and watch it.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Schindilers List. (Yes, yes, I butchered the spelling.)
Its a film I think everyone should watch once in their lives.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

October Sky.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:?
i've heard of that somewhere before. What's it about again?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

It is set in 1957 and details a secondary school kid from a mining town become fascinated with rockets after Sputnik is launced. He and some friends start to make some, and it becomes a way for him to think about escaping his situation. I really like the movie.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd be tempted to say Contact.

"This is what finding you meant to us..."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

@DBS
Thanks, must look out for that one. :)
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

In no particular order...

Big Trouble in Little China / Galaxy Quest / Caddy Shack / Major League / Office Space

and so on... I'm a firm believer that we need to have a sense of Humor. That's what I'd want to show another alien race...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Q
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by Q »

Independence Day....and hope they don't get any ideas......

Ona more serious note, I'd sit down and talk to them , no point in feeding them garbage as well.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Just don't show them Soylent green!
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

Unfortunately, any movie you showed them would be so out of context. But I guess I would show him/her/it Ben Hur as it is fairly timeless. Of course, my favorite movie is still The Shawshank Redemption. :)
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Space Ghost wrote:Unfortunately, any movie you showed them would be so out of context.
Yeah, most "good" movies cause us to think deeply about what it means to be human, and unless a visitor already knew us that well, the meaning would probably be lost on them.

I would think, though, that a good sampling of dramas would at least provide examples of our dramatic arts. I would be really interested to know what (if any) analogue they would have :shock:

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thats a good point, how would an alien connect with what the films are trying to show? If some alien sat you down in front of a film, I don't think any of us would understand whats going on.
I think I'd prefer just to wander round with him/her/it and let it see our culture for himself.
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

During the filming of the movie Zulu, none of the Zulu extras had ever seen a movie before. The director arranged an outdoor screening of a western, much to the amusement of the Zulus.

If you think about it, a movie is something of an oddity. Grown people dressing up in costumes, pretending to be someone they are not and recorded for an audience to view. :)
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."