A rocket powered X-Wing prepares to take off

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

A rocket powered X-Wing prepares to take off

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, now this is seriously cool.
Andy Woerner and his crazy rocketeer friends have built a 21-foot long X-Wing model that can actually fly. Yes, this is a real X-Wing powered by four solid-fuel rocket engines complete with radio-controlled moving wings. It blasts off in California next week, and we talked with Andy about the project, and how they expect it will do. All the details and a full construction gallery after the jump.

The X-Wing model is huge. At 21 feet long and with a wingspan of over 19 feet it is, in fact, big enough to fly a kid in. However, knowing that it will be powered by solid-fuel rockets, they wouldn't put a kid, dog, monkey or Gizmodo editor inside, even if it uses three full parachutes to land.

After drawing the plans using CAD software, Andy's team and his friends at Polecat Aerospace (with the help of RMS Laser and Aerotech Consumer Aerospace) used laser cutting to make the pieces out of Baltic Birch wood. They also used solid aluminum for some parts, like the rods which are the pivot point for the wings.

Why solid aluminum rods? For the most impressive part of the project to work, not only does the axis have to be strong enough to support the stress of the launch but also it has to allow the wings to change position from folded to open while in flight-or, in the words of Red Leader, putting them in attack position, the X that gives the Rebel aircraft its name.

The wings, including the root sections and the outer panels are about 8' long and weigh 60 pounds a piece, including the motors. The motion mechanism had to be able to move all four of these simultaneously, while keeping them in position relative to each other. Additionally, the motion hardware had to be strong enough to keep the wings in position once they were at the extents of their travel.
They used an electric motor from a RC helicopter, reducing its 40,000 revolutions per minute to generate enough torque to move those massive wings. Still, the wings will take 35 seconds to travel from open to closed. Hopefully, they will be able to change before the flight ends, so they can get the full effect in the air.

The wings also hold the engines. Andy told us they are using "four solid rocket motors which are Class M, the kind that produce a red flame"-which as you probably know, it's also the same color of the X-Wing engines' glow.

Even with the aluminum rods, however, there's the possibility of structural damage. We asked Andy about how he expected the flight to go: "it's likely we will have a structural failure in the wings, but we are hoping it will hold."

If it holds, the X-Wing will be fully recoverable. It won't land on its own, but Andy pointed out that they "will use parachute recovery, with three man-rated chutes which will have radio control deployment," like the wings position control.

When I first learnt about the project there was one thing that didn't click for me: why the X-Wing? It doesn't seem to have the right shape to be a rocket. Maybe a better option would have been an Y-Wing or A-Wing. But an X-Wing? Well, according to Andy, "it was the one design from Star Wars that made the most sense to try to scale for rocket power." And on top of that, it just looks cool. I completely agree.

The X-Wing will launch next week, on October 10, and we can only wish the project the best of luck. Godspeed Andy and friends, godspeed. [Polecat Aerospace - Thanks Andy for your time and Anthony for the heads up]
Source

How they built it

"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

BRB, need new pants! :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You want a tech update that's actually scary rather than fun? The US Navy has (not "will have") a working prototype of an 8 megajoule (!) rail gun, and has plans to have a 64-megajoule model working by 2016. This gun is purportedly powerful enough to not require a warhead in its rounds - the amount of KE is enough to either dispense deadly submunitions, or to send a single hardened penetrator slug.

Based on the show I watched last night, the 8-mj prototype is capable of "muzzle" velocity of Mach 8(!)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:twisted:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:shock:
Cool...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

like in the arnie film 'eraser', mikey, were you watching 'future weapons', the richard machowitz thing?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

were you watching 'future weapons', the richard machowitz thing?
Exactly - I can't get enough of that show. And, "Machowitz" - he may be my cousin...
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i prefer the one with the tavor israeli assault rifle and that rather overly-friendly male member of the IDF........poor machs' navy seal skills couldn't avoid a good pawing and cuddling lol
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:

I too watch that show when its on. Very interesting. :)
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

It's a good show but they play up the ex-SEAL angle too much.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't mind that - I'd rather get that type of info from an ex-seal than from some random talking head.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I don't mind that - I'd rather get that type of info from an ex-seal than from some random talking head.
I don't mind that he is a former SEAL, I mind that they mention it all the time. Coming from a Commonwealth military myself I find quiet professionalism impressive, not tooting one's horn. I realise that Americans worship their military and hold up soldiers as icons but not all of us in the rest of the world or those of us in the same professional tract view things in the same light.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm sure if the show were produced primarin Canada for primarily Candaian consumption, that ethic would have been taken into account.

Not everyone in the U.S.A. likes Loverboy, but hey - too bad for us - they're not from the U.S.A.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Does anyone have recent information of the X-wing launch.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

stitch626 wrote:Does anyone have recent information of the X-wing launch.
It breaks up after launch.