Rihannsu Redux

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Rihannsu Redux

Post by Granitehewer »

OK,i concede that the cannon name is romulan,but i love the name 'rihannsu', anyways enough warbling.
Alot of people seem to think that via 'message in a bottle' or the loss of the d'ridthau holding the cente of the alliance line in 'what you leave behind' that romulan hull plating and shielding is not particularily good, can anyone justify that assumption, romulan withdrawls in some episodes are surely more to do with the romulan psyche or agenda than fearing attrition?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Rihannsu Redux

Post by Teaos »

The two Norexean warbirds in Nemesis seemed to have little or no shields and they got knocked out in 4 hits indicating shit hulls.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, the fact that the E-E took numerous hits to its unshielded hull from those same weapons and only suffered minor hull damage quite clearly points to the Romulans armouring their ships with balsa wood.
Hell, the fact that the Scimitar's hull was so much more fucked up than the E-E's after they rammed also points to that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Hell, the fact that the Scimitar's hull was so much more f***ed up than the E-E's after they rammed also points to that.
Actually, thats just simple physics. A saucer shape is (almost) always stronger than a box shape of the same material.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, right.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

However, the Valdore and the other ship getting torn apart to easilly points to either...
1) Romulan ships have hulls made of paper (ok, a slight exageration)
2) Shinzon was holding back against the E-E and went all out against the Romulans

And I am not trying to start another debate over 2...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To end this. History has shown that the RSE has (compared to the UFP) very powerful weapons but poor armour and shielding. The RSE fairs well in sneak attacks due to superior weapons tech but fairs poorly in drawn out battles as they cannot withstand the same amount of damage that they can deal out.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Romulans - Glass canons.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Seems so. They can dish it out but they can't take it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think part of the confusion stems from this: nobody is saying that the D'Deridex (for example) only has shields equivalent to a Strarfleet shuttle; rather, it seems that the D'Deridex has weaker shields than a Starfleet or Klingon vessel of the same size and/or role.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Off the top of my head, I'd mark them about the same as an Ambassador class.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

About the same as a Neb, going by "Message in a Bottle". Both ships seemed to go down to the Prometheus' firepower about as quickly as each other. The Warbird may be a bit stronger, given that it was also under fire from an Akira and two Defiants, but that's levelled out by the fact that it was definately destroyed while the Neb was only damaged and driven off.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I could believe that.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And pretty much no ships we see have good hull armour but the Defiant and Sov, everything else just has a standard hull.