One of Enterprise's (many) flaws

Enterprise
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

One of Enterprise's (many) flaws

Post by katefan »

When TNG came out there was one element of the show that did not strike me until later in the series. When I watched the first couple seasons other glaring flaws sort of got in the way of this element of storytelling. Or perhaps the element was not there and was added later.

Anyway, the element I speak of is instantaneous communication. Often times Picard would get orders directly from Starfleet in real time. This meant that Picard was always being watched, that he had very little leeway in the way he could handle many situations because there was always his superiors just a phone call away. It is much the same way in our modern Navy where the Secretary of Defense can be put into contact with virtually any ship in the world in a matter of a couple minutes.

This was quite different in Kirk's day. Quite often it would take Kirk hours or even days to get or deliver a coded message, so many was the time where he would have to act on his own. Balance of Terror is an excellent example of this. It was like the Horatio Hornblower days (as others have compared TOS to) where British ships were at the other end of the world and communication was haphazard, and it made the series much more exciting because there was that feeling that Enterprise was on it's own. There was no back up and the only thing that would save the day would be Spock's logic, MCoy's compassion, Kirk's intuition and leadership skills. I really felt like we were looking at the best of the best on the Enterprise.

And this is where Enterprise failed. From the start Archer was always in contact with Admiral Forrest, never did we get the feeling that he was out there alone in the dark of space, cut off from authority. And help? The Vulcans were always a phone call away, it seemed. Never was there a feeling of tension, of danger, at least in those first two seasons. Heck, no one died until season three. Pre-Federation space was ridiculously safe.

I think Enterprise would have much better served if the show had felt more like TOS in that there was less communication with Earth, that any communication were in short bursts of coded messages rather than conversations with Forrest. Much like ELF transmissions with modern submarines. There was just no tension in a show about Man going where Vulcan has gone before, and being able to call home on a regular basis to talk about it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: One of Enterprise's (many) flaws

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Agreed. Archer should have been on his own for the most part.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Whle the point is a good one do you really want Archer to be out on his own with the big boys?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, now that you mention it, maybe it's not a good idea to give Archer of all people free reign. He already wiped out one species, who knows what else he'd do?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Rochey wrote:Well, now that you mention it, maybe it's not a good idea to give Archer of all people free reign. He already wiped out one species, who knows what else he'd do?
Technically that wasn't his fault, the shuttlepod was tampered if, IIRC. I do agree that he shouldn't be allowed to lead a rubber dingy in a Space Suit without immediate supervision it was not right that they were always so close to the Vulcans/Andorians/Earth that assistance and communications could happen so simply.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actualy, I was reffering to the time when he witheld a cure from an entire alien race and let them all die off.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah but remember Rochey he had a good reason to do that... evolution. :roll:

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Rochey wrote:Actualy, I was reffering to the time when he witheld a cure from an entire alien race and let them all die off.
Forgot about them... point taken.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I thought Archer was a good Captain. This could be explained by the fact that the technology allowed instant communication up to X lightyears and it wasn't until much later were they able to extend that range.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Yeah but even in TNG it is stretching ti at times.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

TNG can be explained away by the relay network across Federation space, we saw one in Aquiel. For ENT there is no such excuse.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If I remember correctly Archer dropped some subspace relays at some poinr to aid communication. Which is odd since Kirk didnt have those.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:If I remember correctly Archer dropped some subspace relays at some poinr to aid communication. Which is odd since Kirk didnt have those.

He did, it was a plot point of season one's Silent Enemy. They got destroyed.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Teaos wrote:If I remember correctly Archer dropped some subspace relays at some poinr to aid communication. Which is odd since Kirk didnt have those.

And they weren't replaced in a hundred years?

The relays were a stupid idea. Like "stealth technology" and phase pistols, it was one of the numerous continuity errors plaguing the prequel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The fact that they had communications latter on implies they let more go.