Voyager What if...?

Voyager
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Voyager What if...?

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

How would the storyline have gone if USS Voyager wasn't an Intrepid-class ship, but a Galaxy-class? And please, no Galaxy-class bashing.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Voyager What if...?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It blows up in ten minutes.
And please, no Galaxy-class bashing.
Oh, right.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:How would the storyline have gone if USS Voyager wasn't an Intrepid-class ship, but a Galaxy-class?
*Opens mouth*
And please, no Galaxy-class bashing.
*Closes mouth*

*Thinks*

No Comment.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rochey, Seafort, do you hate TNG? It seems so since you bash the Galaxy-class so much.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not at all. I rate TNG quite highly.
My problem is with the ship itself, whose flaws have been listed on inumerable occasions.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rochey wrote:Not at all. I rate TNG quite highly.
My problem is with the ship itself, whose flaws have been listed on inumerable occasions.
The problem with that is, not many people SEE those flaws, nor do they matter at times. The Iconian Virus, for example, was lightyears beyond what Starfleet Computers could defend against.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:The problem with that is, not many people SEE those flaws, nor do they matter at times. The Iconian Virus, for example, was lightyears beyond what Starfleet Computers could defend against.
That virus was the result of the 24th century equivalent of opening an attatchment to a badly spelt spam e-mail.

In any event that's only one example, and not even the worst - that "honour" goes to the slight scrape that destroyed the E-D in Cause and Effect.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Let's not forget that the crew have no control at all over around 70+ percent of the ship's systems (Contagion). That's just insanity.
Then there's the insanely volitile warp core that blows up if someone looks at it the wrong way.
Then there's the ridiculously exposed nacelles that cause the entire ship to blow up if it takes a glancing hit that barely does any other damage.
Then there's the lack of any computer safeties.
Then there's the insane amount of space wasted in the ship.
Then there's.....well, I could go on, but you get the point.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:In any event that's only one example, and not even the worst - that "honour" goes to the slight scrape that destroyed the E-D in Cause and Effect.
Seconded. It's almost like an angry guy in a spacesuit wielding a sledgehammer could take out the GCS.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Moved to VOY since its a Voyager topic and general is getting cluttered

Well at the very least they would of had almost no trouble with the Kazon. They would have kicked a lot of arse there.

They might of also left the saucer behind on a planet with anyone who wants to stay and send the other bit on the journey home.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I see three options:

Stay still and blow up

Move and blow up

Yell at the Chief Engineer for not being able to avoid getting blown up and then blow up.

Seriously though, things go a little better until they hit the Borg. Their still 70+ years from home, their just more comfortable.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Actually I think it would be much closer to 100 years to hom since the GCS is a lot slower than an Intrepid.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Actually I think it would be much closer to 100 years to hom since the GCS is a lot slower than an Intrepid.
Aren't their cruising speeds about the same, IIRC nothing was ever really stated on the show. If it took 70 years at maximum warp to get home, the ship would be falling apart from the stress so I always imagined they went along at the most economical cruising speed.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'm pretty sure Voyager had a much higher cruise. The GCS really isnt that fast.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:I'm pretty sure Voyager had a much higher cruise. The GCS really isnt that fast.
DITL lists 9.2 (Galaxy) and 9.975(Intrepid) for maximum cruise, which is likely to lead to major problems in the long run. With a Galaxy though, time isn't as much of an issue thanks to it's faciliies. Provided you want to get home and not settle somewhere.