What if 2

Voyager
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

What if 2

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Here's another what if for you.

Janeway sets a dozen photon torpedoes for a sixty second delay and uses teh array to send Voyager home. The array goes boom. Voyager hands the Maquis over for trial; they are conviced and sentenced to rehabilitation. Janeway moves on to her next mission.

What happens to the delta quadrant, without Voyager's presence?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What if 2

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Uh....life goes on?
Seriously, I can't think of any major changes Voyager did. The only real thing they did was scaring 8472 off and crippling the Borg to an unknown extent.
The only real thing I see happening is that 8472 wipes out the Borg down to the last drone. What they do after that is a debate that we've had before, and that I don't think we want to get back into again.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Janeway gets married and has kids with Mr. Fantastic? I don't really want to picture that...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Ocampa live enslaved by the Kazon,
8472 succeeds in exterminating the Borg, from Borg learn about civilizations elsewhere (Alpha, Beta, Gamma quadrants etc.) & continue their ethnic cleasening accross the galaxy until some sort of Deus ex Machina/Technobabble/Quantum solution.......or everyone dies and 8472 sit's around an asks themselves, "why'd we do that again?"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The biggest event would be the destruction of the Borg - without Voyager's intervention, 8472 would have had them for breakfast. Result: billions or trillions of individuals are saved from assimilation.

Other than that, Annorax would keep buggering up Krenim space and the surrounding area, the Vardwaar wouldn't escape, and dozens of species never have to suffer the high drama of Janeway's passing. Overall though, Voyager didn't seem to have too great an effect on the DQ political landscape, the Borg aside.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The 8472 thing was the main one I thought of, too. 8472 destroy the Borg; that means no more Borg threat after First Contact. It also means, potentially at least, that 8472 keeps going. Remember they only pulled up and started the whole "study the Humans" thing because Voyager whupped their ass so badly. With that gone they just keep on rampaging.

Delta quadrant gets blitzed, big time. And I don't see what would stop them from sweeping through the rest of the galaxy next. Total obliteration.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

There's also the Hirogen and the holo-hunting thing that will hopefully reshape their society. Which reminds me of another Janeway inconsistancy. She refused to give technology to the Kazon, but she freely gave it to the Hirogen a year and a half later.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I guess Janeway just didn't want to be killed. Go figure.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Harley Filben
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Harley Filben »

8472's and their little ships might get irrelevant if Q continuum civil war gets out of hand.

EDIT: I just realized. Janeshit caused it all in the first place. Nevermind.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Captain Seafort wrote:Other than that, Annorax would keep buggering up Krenim space and the surrounding area, the Vardwaar wouldn't escape, and dozens of species never have to suffer the high drama of Janeway's passing. Overall though, Voyager didn't seem to have too great an effect on the DQ political landscape, the Borg aside.
This was the first thing I thought of...

Would Annorax been able to take on Species 8472? I guess the fate of the Delta Quadrant comes down to the answer to that question...
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Abraxas wrote:Would Annorax been able to take on Species 8472? I guess the fate of the Delta Quadrant comes down to the answer to that question...

Hmm...we don't know if 8472's weapons are effective against ships that are out of temporal phase or whatever it was. Even if it wasn't we don't know if Species 8472 has a home planet that can be erased so each and every 8472 individual would have to be hunted down and erased. So I guess as long as the temporal phase thing kept him protected from 8472's weapons Annorax would eventually win, in theory.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

A lot of the species she came across had a pretty big interaction with them but nothing utterly dramatic. The Borg and 8472 are the big ones.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Does species 8472 intend to take over all of normal space, or are they content to wipe out the Borg? If the latter, then Janeway's alliance with the Borg put Earth on the map for species 8472.

On the other hand, if Janeway had made it home without further contact with species 8472, one is left to wonder how a Borg nanoprobe-equipped Starfleet would fare against species 8472. Possibly not well, but nanoprobes would be our best hope.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Does species 8472 intend to take over all of normal space, or are they content to wipe out the Borg? If the latter, then Janeway's alliance with the Borg put Earth on the map for species 8472.
Yeah this is one of those debates that we just cant settle on. We just go in circles.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Does species 8472 intend to take over all of normal space, or are they content to wipe out the Borg? If the latter, then Janeway's alliance with the Borg put Earth on the map for species 8472.

On the other hand, if Janeway had made it home without further contact with species 8472, one is left to wonder how a Borg nanoprobe-equipped Starfleet would fare against species 8472. Possibly not well, but nanoprobes would be our best hope.
SILENCE MORTAL! Lest you summon the spirts of the 8472 controversy and we are plunged into another series of 15 page threads.