Ship of the Week: Corellian Gunship (DP20 Frigate)

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ship of the Week: Corellian Gunship (DP20 Frigate)

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Length: 120 Meters
Hyperdrive: Class 2, backup class 16
Armanent: Eight dual turbolaser cannons, Six Quad Laser Turrets, Four Concussive Missile tubes with 30 missiles each
Decks: Five
Crew: 91 (45 Officers and 46 Gunners), minimum crew 10
Passengers: None
Cargo Capacity: 300 metric tons
Consumables: 8 Months

Characteristics:
Unlike its cousin, the CR90 corvette, the gunship had minimal cargo space and almost no space for passengers or troops. These small ships were designed to be only two things: fast and deadly. Engines consumed nearly half of the gunship's interior space. What little room was left was used for deflector shield generators and weapons.

Armed with eight double turbolaser cannons, four concussion missile tubes, and six quad laser cannons, the Corellian gunship was effective against both larger capital ships as well as starfighters. These ships were 120 meters long. Each one carried a crew of 45, along with 46 gunners. They were equipped with Class 2 hyperdrives
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Ship of the Week: Corellian Gunship (DP20 Frigate)

Post by Mikey »

I like it - straightforward, no-nonsense, and built expressly and well for only one thing... to shoot other ships. However, I'm no expert in the tech of SW, so I'll leave the detailed commentary to more skilled folks.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

It's ugly, but that's an awful lot of firepower in a pretty small package. Impressive...most impressive!(sorry, couldn't resist)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

So a question for all the Warsies out there.

Can someone explain the logistics of how the "best" that a lot of even the rich core worlds was able to produce, were like this size.... and then you have the Empire building these massive enormous star destroyers, and then one planet (the Calamari) able to make ships of comparable size? That was one thing that kinda threw me.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

This thing is a heavy bulky hulk. But boy can she blow things up.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Duskofdead wrote:Can someone explain the logistics of how the "best" that a lot of even the rich core worlds was able to produce, were like this size.... and then you have the Empire building these massive enormous star destroyers, and then one planet (the Calamari) able to make ships of comparable size? That was one thing that kinda threw me.
This isn't anywhere near the "best" - it's a decent design, and enormously popular, but it's nothing like as powerfull as the big warships. The CSA's Invincible-class crusers were a couple of kilometres long and thousands of years old, there were ISD+ scale ships in KotOR, 4000 years before the period we see, and the Old Republic's Mandator-class ships were of a size approaching the Executor.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

This one got used by the Rebellion a lot, IIRC.

It's a good, decent design. it does what it's supposed to do and does it well.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Duskofdead wrote:So a question for all the Warsies out there.

Can someone explain the logistics of how the "best" that a lot of even the rich core worlds was able to produce, were like this size.... and then you have the Empire building these massive enormous star destroyers, and then one planet (the Calamari) able to make ships of comparable size? That was one thing that kinda threw me.
It's not the best, its a damn good design, packs a lot of firepower and speed into a small package. Basically, its Star Wars' answer to the Defiant.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Well I know it's not the best ship out there, what I meant was if ships the size of death stars or calamari cruisers are not too hard to pull off in SW, even for single planets, why do people bother with these small ships I suppose.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Duskofdead wrote:Well I know it's not the best ship out there, what I meant was if ships the size of death stars or calamari cruisers are not too hard to pull off in SW, even for single planets, why do people bother with these small ships I suppose.
Economics. The First Death Star cost trillions of credits and 19 years to build, for example. It took an Empire to create it, not a single planet.

Mon Calamari cruisers are retrofitted-they were originally cruise liners, easy to refit.

An Imperial-class Star Destroyer is in the hundreds of millions of credits, this little DP20 Frigate is only 4.5 million.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: Economics. The First Death Star cost trillions of credits and 19 years to build, for example. It took an Empire to create it, not a single planet.
Actually the DSI was built over a period of a few years, the one you see at the end of ROTS is a prototype. As where several others that crop up in the EU between ROTS and ANH.
Mon Calamari cruisers are retrofitted-they were originally cruise liners, easy to refit.
That's pretty much been thrown out the window with the ICS and the Clone Wars which show that these vessels have been around for a long time as warship designs.
An Imperial-class Star Destroyer is in the hundreds of millions of credits, this little DP20 Frigate is only 4.5 million.
Seriously, don't use RPG stats.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Cpl Kendall wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: Economics. The First Death Star cost trillions of credits and 19 years to build, for example. It took an Empire to create it, not a single planet.
Actually the DSI was built over a period of a few years, the one you see at the end of ROTS is a prototype. As where several others that crop up in the EU between ROTS and ANH.
Wrong. Lucas said that was the first Death Star. Not a Prototype. Its the genuine article.
That's pretty much been thrown out the window with the ICS and the Clone Wars which show that these vessels have been around for a long time as warship designs.
Wrong. For one, the MC80 design first appeared, chronologically, in the Clone Wars comics. They were plans the CIS tried to steal. And besides-I don't trust the ICS.

Up until the Rebellion, the Mon Cals produced Cruise Liners, which were refitted to be warships.
Seriously, don't use RPG stats.
You use ICS, I use WEG, which is more reliable at times. How much should a 120 meter war vessel cost to a 1600 meter Star Destroyer?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
Wrong. Lucas said that was the first Death Star. Not a Prototype. Its the genuine article.
Yeah and Lucasflims also said the Executor was 5 Km long at one point. What's your point? A simple comparision and scaling between the ROTS DS and the ANH DS show that they are not the same ship.

Oops,that should be five times the size of an ISD. 8km's as Seafort so kindly points out.
Wrong. For one, the MC80 design first appeared, chronologically, in the Clone Wars comics. They were plans the CIS tried to steal. And besides-I don't trust the ICS.
Yeah, that says everything we need to know doesn't it. Another guy who denies the ICS. :roll:
Up until the Rebellion, the Mon Cals produced Cruise Liners, which were refitted to be warships.
Uh huh, and the design lineage stretches back further than that as actual warships. Deny the ICS all you want, it's G-canon and the WEG is C.
You use ICS, I use WEG, which is more reliable at times. How much should a 120 meter war vessel cost to a 1600 meter Star Destroyer?
Game mechanics buddy, they don't apply to the actual universe in question. They are there to make an RPG work and entertaining.
Last edited by Aaron on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Wrong. Lucas said that was the first Death Star. Not a Prototype. Its the genuine article.
That might have been his intention, but the structure seen at the end of RotS is visually distinct from the first Death Star - they're quite clearly different objects. You can read the details here
8000 metre long Executor? 160km DSII? 60-gun ISDs? :roll:

WEG is badly-researched shit.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Cpl Kendall wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Yeah and Lucasflims also said the Executor was 5 Km long at one point. What's your point? A simple comparision and scaling between the ROTS DS and the ANH DS show that they are not the same ship.

Oops,that should be five times the size of an ISD. 8km's as Seafort so kindly points out.
Its one thing for Lucasfilms to say something, and Lucas to say something *different*. Lucas *himself* said that the Death Star shown in ROTS was the first Death Star, Not a prototype.

Yeah, that says everything we need to know doesn't it. Another guy who denies the ICS. :roll:
The ICS was made by the worst warsies ever who ally themselves with Pwoe and Wong. Calculations only work when *feats* back them up.

Uh huh, and the design lineage stretches back further than that as actual warships. Deny the ICS all you want, it's G-canon and the WEG is C.
ICS and WEG are BOTH C-Canon. ICS is a Source Book, it falls under C-Canon. G-Canon only encompasses the movies, scrips, radio dramas, and movie novelizations, not Source Book.

Game mechanics buddy, they don't apply to the actual universe in question. They are there to make an RPG work and entertaining
So you think a smaller, more compact ship wouldn't cost less than a 1600 meter Star Destroyer