Beaming fun stuff onto enemy ships

Voyager
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Beaming fun stuff onto enemy ships

Post by DBS »

Here is a thread dedicated to the discussion of unconventional tactics...Like beaming photon torpedoes into fun places on a target vessel. I put the thread here because we only have seen it done to a hapless Borg scoutship in a Voyager episode.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

To be fair it could just as easilly have gone in TOS since that's where the tactic originated. In the form of large numbers of rapidly multiplying furballs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Captain Seafort wrote:To be fair it could just as easilly have gone in TOS since that's where the tactic originated. In the form of large numbers of rapidly multiplying furballs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Forgot about that! oh, well...

This means unconventional transporter tactic #1: the Tribble Bomb! :twisted:
Last edited by DBS on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I love that episode!

Could it be that ships in combat activate some sort of ECM system that blocks jamming? It would make sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Could it be that ships in combat activate some sort of ECM system that blocks jamming? It would make sense.
Almost certainly. It badly affects weapons targetting as well, since though Trek weapons have been mentioned as targetting objects tens or hundreds of thousands of kilometres away, combat invariably occurs at a few kilometres at most and as close as hundreds of metres at times.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That explains a lot. It seems the feds need better ECCM.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

There is a lot on this in the TR-116 thread for anyone who wants to look.

More or less I think it is a very effective idea but is very hard to use.

It is also usually a death blow so wouldn't be used unless you wanted to destroy someone which the Federation usually tries to avoid.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In events like the Dominion war why didn't they do it in that case?
The Federation was definately trying to kill the enemy there.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Maybe they did.

Remember we only ever see the battles of one ship out of hundreds.

If the right situation only presents its self rearly so the chances of the ship we see do it are slim but it still may happen occasionally.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

One of Mr. Scott's tactics in the book Kobayashi Maru was to beam photon torpedos out into space and then beam away the casings as a Klingon Fleet maneuvered into the antimatter. Clever.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The fundamental problem with using the transporters as a weapon is the shields. If the enemy have lost their shields then they're horribly vulnerable aleady. Why drop your own shields, and throw away a huge advantage in order to gain a slight advantage?
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Not to mention that if you drop your shields to beam the "fun item" over, there is nothing stopping them from doing the exact same thing to you :shock:

"Quick, their shields are down! Beam over the photon torpedoes!"
"Yes, sir...lowering shields.... aw $h*t...BOOM!!!!!"

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, personally I'd just fire them in a more conventional way. Much safer, even if it does take a bit longer.
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

As far as I know you shouldn't be able to transport Photon Torpedoes at all, as they have their own shields and even warp fields.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think they could turn off the shields on the torp. :wink:

Is it posible that they cant transport anti-matter? I don't recall them doing that. (although I don't recall that much about Voy' thankfully :D )