From MS paint to 3D?

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
tgt
Crewman
Crewman

From MS paint to 3D?

Post by tgt »

Hello all. I, like so many of you, have designed my own class of ship. The problem is when I started designing her, I did it on MS paint. I would like to render her in 3D, but how do I do it without starting from scratch?

I have deck lines, transverse and longitudinal framelines, the locations of all weapons and major systems; I even started detailing the outside on MS paint. Is there a way to use what I have as the starting point for a 3D model? Mostly I was hoping to use the framelines and decks lines to create the wireframe. Is that possible, or am I just dreaming?
Speak softly, and carry a big starship.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hi there, welcome to the site. :)

Though I have virtualy no experience with this sort of thing, I'd imagine it depends on the angle you drew it in.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Umm, make sure you have 5 views (side, top, bottom, front, aft) and put them in a cube like structure, and start dtting reference points. To do so, the views have to match exactly. top, bottom front and aft are only half needed, assuming it is a symmetric design. As soon as you have a lot of reference dots, you could copy these dots and try to connect these dots into the basic outline of the vessel, then integrate further deatailing, such as the basic shape. Those dots are obviously placeholders until further notice.

The former was described enturely from oserving other design proceses. Recommended programs
Lightwave 6 $4000
3D Max 3 $5000
trueSpace 4 $2000
Mayha $7000
Cinima 4D XL $8000
Bryce 3D $1000
Raytracer $500 (formula based)
Pixel 3D $ 1000 (for Macs)
AutoCAD

free software
Blender: FREE.

Anim8or: FREE.

Art of Illusion: FREE.

PoV_Ray: FREE.

Sketchup

another recommendation: render the models with kerkythea.

For further info, do some research of your own. last, this might be useful too, not only in our own forums, but to you as well. http://www.subspace-comms.net/index.php?topic=14.0
tgt
Crewman
Crewman

Post by tgt »

Thanks for the help. I downloaded anim8or a while ago, but couldn't figure out how to transfer the information. I do have all five views, and I'll try what you suggested. It might take awhile though, as I have very little experience in 3D modeling. But, with a little patience, I'm hoping to have my very own "tough little ship".
Speak softly, and carry a big starship.