Extended Range Shuttlecraft

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Re: Extended Range Shuttlecraft

Post by Grundig »

This is an interesting discussion indeed. I had always wondered whether shuttles were designed to be slower just for plot-purposes. But Bryan Moore's point is well-taken that emergency response capabilities would be limited with a shuttle.

Maybe my next design attempt will be an emergency response vessel. I know Starfleet shows a history of multi-purpose ship design, but what the hell? We're not making any money with this stuff right?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

me,myself and I wrote: The question is: Why Not?
You can't just "go fast", the shuttle would need a larger fuel supply and a more powerful reactor. That implies some size limitations, which is likely why the runabouts are limited to low warp; they trade speed for range.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
me,myself and I wrote: The question is: Why Not?
You can't just "go fast", the shuttle would need a larger fuel supply and a more powerful reactor. That implies some size limitations, which is likely why the runabouts are limited to low warp; they trade speed for range.
And yet most technological advance seem to come from the "because we can crowd."

BTW, I wasn't actually serious when I wrote that, I probably should've put a ;-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think that fast shuttles would only be of use to intercept pirates and small attackers at short range. Sort of like a police service. Have a high speed shuttle to chase a target on DS09's sensors.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Reliant121 wrote:I think that fast shuttles would only be of use to intercept pirates and small attackers at short range. Sort of like a police service. Have a high speed shuttle to chase a target on DS09's sensors.
Or a diplomatic courier. For messengers and such.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

me,myself and I wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I think that fast shuttles would only be of use to intercept pirates and small attackers at short range. Sort of like a police service. Have a high speed shuttle to chase a target on DS09's sensors.
Or a diplomatic courier. For messengers and such.
Depends on the range. Low speed shuttles have higher range, shorter speed shuttles would have a shorter range.