What is your favourite ship from TOS/TMP?

The Original Series
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:True but I didn't see the Excelsiors getting mass murdered! :lol:
Did you watch "Emissary" - the Melbourne lasted about five seconds. The Saratoga lasted at least a few minutes.
And, the Excelsiors gave us the Lakota.
You mean the heavily refitted combat-orientated Excelsior that got beaten by a ship a fraction of it's size?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yes but the Melbourne might have recieved a bigger punishment because she was a bigger threat to the Cube. And the Saratoga may have survived abit longer because the Ambassador and the Nebula that followed them may have provided a Distraction.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:
And, the Excelsiors gave us the Lakota.
You mean the heavily refitted combat-orientated Excelsior that got beaten by a ship a fraction of it's size?
It was more of a draw, next shot would kill, and the Lakota never fired her Quantum Torpedoes. But the Defiant was still more cost effective given the size.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:It was more of a draw, next shot would kill, and the Lakota never fired her Quantum Torpedoes. But the Defiant was still more cost effective given the size.
About 16 times more effective, given the relative volumes of the two ships.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Semantics. I think the Lakota fared fairly well. Considering that 1. Commander Benteen may not have been as capable in command as Sisko. 2. The Defiant was designed to take on Lakota sized vessels. And win. The Lakota's weren't designed to take one little mini-uberships.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Did you watch "Emissary" - the Melbourne lasted about five seconds. The Saratoga lasted at least a few minutes.
Getting lucky against the borg (before the Voy happened) isn't much of a fair guess. The GCS was the ship to beat the borg when a whole fleet couldn't.
A heavily REFITTED combat-orientated ship that was a hundred years old vs the best warship in the AQ. Again it just seems so (NOT) fair. I love that in the end it was a DRAW. Neither ship was willing to finish off the other. The fact that such an old ship can be so well refitted for duty in war 100 years after she was built is a testament, not a fault.

Plus I don't remember seeing a Defiant Class in TOS. So those other ships are just S.O.L.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Deepcrush wrote:
Getting lucky against the borg (before the Voy happened) isn't much of a fair guess. The GCS was the ship to beat the borg when a whole fleet couldn't.
A heavily REFITTED combat-orientated ship that was a hundred years old vs the best warship in the AQ. Again it just seems so (NOT) fair. I love that in the end it was a DRAW. Neither ship was willing to finish off the other. The fact that such an old ship can be so well refitted for duty in war 100 years after she was built is a testament, not a fault.

Plus I don't remember seeing a Defiant Class in TOS. So those other ships are just S.O.L.

I think we have a winner for the newly (just now) made up prize for 'most eliquantly worded post'!!!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would start dancing but last time I think I hit Hewer in the nose. :lol:

I really was sorry about that.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Plus I don't remember seeing a Defiant Class in TOS. So those other ships are just S.O.L.
So "Trials and Tribble-ations" didn't happen, eh? :P And what do you call this:

Looks like a Defiant to me - says so on the saucer. :P
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You missed part of it.

But still it was a nice try.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

You missed part of my post as well. This: :P

Not to mention the appearence of the Defiant-class Defiant in TOS-era "Trials and Tribble-ation". :wink:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That was a one off Temporal incident.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

The NX Defiant vs a Connie. Defiant vs. Defiant. That could be awesome to see.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

A connie with the name defiant printed on it. Yep thats a kicker. :lol:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

oh....i thought you ment the Defiant class....oops