Steve Jobs dies

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steve Jobs dies

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
Steve Jobs, the mastermind behind Apple's iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac and iTunes, has died, Apple said. Jobs was 56.

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today," read a statement by Apple's board of directors. "Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve. His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts."

The homepage of Apple's website this evening switched to a full-page image of Jobs with the text, "Steve Jobs 1955-2011."
Thought it was coming when he resigned, but had no idea it would be this soon. :(
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Steve Jobs dies

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Thought it was coming when he resigned, but had no idea it would be this soon. :(
Indeed. Love Apple or hate Apple, the company has become a force and has an enormous impact on the computing world; this is largely due to the singular influence of one of the most uniquely creative and iconic CEOs there ever was. The world has lost a special man.

The question will be asked of how Apple will make out without Jobs in the coming years (no more so than by Apple stockholders) though this shouldn't get in the way of his memorial. RIP.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Wow, he must've been sicker than we thought to pass away this soon. Requiescat In Pace, Steve.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

He was very sick. I was impressed he lasted as long as he did before resigning. Very sad to hear.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

stitch626 wrote:He was very sick. I was impressed he lasted as long as he did before resigning. Very sad to hear.
Sad in a way. But he died this soon because he was too stubborn to follow traditional medical advice. Instead when he found out he had cancer he attempted to deal with it by altering his diet for 9 months. Shockingly it kept growing and took him from likely to survive at least a decade to pretty much fucked. It is not a sure thing but not treating cancer for 9 months is generally a really dumb idea. Particularly when what you have is caught so early.

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2011/10/05/a-l ... g-illness/

This is a good lesson for all the anti-vaccine anti-modern medicine people out there.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, the anti-vaccine crowd pretty much had the air taken out of them when the study published in The Lancet was admitted to be a fraud.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Damn, sad news there. Quite a shock when I read about it last night. :(
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The anti-vaccine thing is losing a lot of steam, though it still has some effects. The nurses asked me and my wife if we wanted to started vaccinating our daughter. I looked at them like they were insane and the nurse explained some people don't want it. Go figure.

Still, to think that a guy that smart would actually buy into the idea that all you have to do to beat cancer is change your diet.... words fail me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

TBF, we don't know his motivation. He might not have actually thought that he could beat cancer with a dietary change and a handful of herbs. Pancreatic cancer generally has a survival rate of something very close to "nil," and he might have just wanted to get whatever time he could without the often awful side-effects of traditional treatments.

As to the thimerosol thing, it boggles my mind that a health professional would have even broached the topic of not vaccinating your kids if you hadn't already expressed reservations. My kids' pediatric group will not even keep a kid as a patient whose parents won't vaccinate.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mikey wrote:TBF, we don't know his motivation. He might not have actually thought that he could beat cancer with a dietary change and a handful of herbs. Pancreatic cancer generally has a survival rate of something very close to "nil," and he might have just wanted to get whatever time he could without the often awful side-effects of traditional treatments.

As to the thimerosol thing, it boggles my mind that a health professional would have even broached the topic of not vaccinating your kids if you hadn't already expressed reservations. My kids' pediatric group will not even keep a kid as a patient whose parents won't vaccinate.
They don't want to get sued for vaccinating a kid when the parents did not want it.

I think I saw that something like 10% of US children are not vaccinated. It is just sad and pathetic.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

BigJKU316 wrote:I think I saw that something like 10% of US children are not vaccinated. It is just sad and pathetic.
Not just sad and pathetic - it's also fucking dangerous.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
BigJKU316 wrote:I think I saw that something like 10% of US children are not vaccinated. It is just sad and pathetic.
Not just sad and pathetic - it's also fucking dangerous.
I agree. I am not all that welcome with some of my wife's family because they refuse vaccinations and started lecturing me on it. They have like 3 autistic kids and blame it on vaccines, though the 3rd got none. Finally after they told me that I was going to make my kid autistic if I did it I sort of lost my temper and told them that they were selfish for risking their kids life so they could sleep better at night on this issue. There are some stupid ass people in this world. Even if there was a small chance of causing autism I would rather that than hold my kid as they die from a preventable disease.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Does she have an explanation for the 99%+ of kids who get vaccinated and aren't autistic?
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tyyr wrote:Does she have an explanation for the 99%+ of kids who get vaccinated and aren't autistic?
No. They are farm folk and not terribly bright. I would point out that she is a bit screwy and her kids are all autistic so we might consider genetics in there but that would go right over their heads and is not really my problem. But they are big time on the anti-medicine bandwagon. They do all natural diets (except when they make the whole family go eat at Country Kitchen Buffet or some such garbage and they eat enough for six people) and believe that purging themselves makes illness go away. It really is appalling, like 3 steps away from leaches in my view.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Does she have an explanation for the 99%+ of kids who get vaccinated and aren't autistic?
What about the kids who are autistic and didn't get vaccinated?

I'm technically autistic, diagnosed and so forth (32 on the CARS scale), and I was vaccinated, but I certainly don't believe that caused it. There's no real evidence. In fact, evidence seems to me to point toward plain ol' evolution in progress.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939