Poll Idea

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Poll Idea

Post by Grundig »

Graham, I though of a possible poll:

Who has the best death scene in all of Trek? and perhaps you could start by polling for each series.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay... let's give you an appreciation of what we go through for a poll idea (not saying yours is a bad one by the way, just illustrating the issues.)

First... are we going to give people the choice of every single death scene in Trek? Cos it would be a whole lot of work to compile that. And woe betide you if you say you have and it turns out you missed when Ensign Ricky Redshirt bought it in Episode 37.

So we're going to limit it... to what? Only significant deaths? Define "significant". Deaths that were a major part of an episode? Deaths of recurring characters only? Deaths of main characters only? Would you include the guy in "Homeward", whose death was a big deal to that episode but who was only a one ep character? What about some redshirt who was in five TOS episodes and then killed insignificantly?

If we limit it to main characters... well how many are there? Spock... Yar... Kirk... Trip... and that's about it for the whole of Trek than I can think of.

And of course, no matter WHAT you do Spock's death is going to win by a country mile.

Not easy, is it? :)

I do like the idea though. I'd love to hear suggestions for whose death could be involved...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Jadzia Dax would be in the list of main deaths.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

So would Data.

You could do a list of major characters.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Doesn't fix the fact that Spock would win by a mile.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Hmm, maybe this is a topic best left to the forum. You know, I really thought Kirk had a good death. But yeah, I would vote for Spock. Worst death, how about that one? I vote for Anakin's Mom.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Spock gets the best death scene title by a mile.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

schizo-hal wrote:Worst death, how about that one? I vote for Anakin's Mom.
Nope. The guy in the TOS S1 episode (the one with the Andromedans) who got turned into a salt lick and then crushed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Data
Spock
Kirk
Trip
Jadzia Dax
Tasha Yar
Sisko?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Sisko didnt die so much as just change.

I think Data had the best death scene. Very fitting for him.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Yeah, no, it's gotta be Spock. I was like 12 when I saw TWOK, and my mom had to rush out to rent The Search For Spock immediately, because my brother and I were inconsolable. I think that was also around the time when Jim Henson died, so it was a pretty rough year all around!