Ring Nacelles of Vulcan ships.

Enterprise
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Ring Nacelles of Vulcan ships.

Post by Reliant121 »

When we saw the Vahklas we saw a clear progression toward the ring nacelles. If you try looking back from the Vahklas, can anyone else see similarities with the Defiant. I.E single small hull with nacelles bolted to the side. Does anyone else see te possibilty for Federation ships to progress in the same manner?

Please tell me if you see my point or if i am going completely insane.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well it sort of fits with Romulan designs evolving into that split hull design. You could see two hundred years of design advancement there.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Well it sort of fits with Romulan designs evolving into that split hull design. You could see two hundred years of design advancement there.
But the Romulans split from the Vulcans quite some time before Enterprise. Their early designs are two-nacelle ships, anyway. And so is the Warbird.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Jordanis wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Well it sort of fits with Romulan designs evolving into that split hull design. You could see two hundred years of design advancement there.
But the Romulans split from the Vulcans quite some time before Enterprise. Their early designs are two-nacelle ships, anyway. And so is the Warbird.
Okay, so 1500 years of improvement then. Even more reason to see the differences. You can still see the vauge relationship between the TNG-era warbirds and ring nacelles. And we don't know for certain if Vulcans lacked two-nacelle ships. Ring nacelles may have been more logical for some reason.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Maybe the resulting shape of the warp fields is desirable to Vuclans. Vulcans definitely favor the simplicity of a single-hulled design, and maybe this engine configuration is necessary for that.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Come to think of it, how would these warp fields be shaped?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Well, if you think about it all warp-driven ships have the same basic arrangement as the Vulcans. Look at this image of the interior of the E-D's nacelle.

The shape of the individual pairs of warp coils appears very similar to the shape of the Vulcans' ting nacelles. The difference is that the Vulcans rely on a single pair of coils, while the GCS use multiple pairs in twin nacelles.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Well, that depends on how they have the warp coils or if they use warp coils at all. I imagine the field is some sort of double cone shape(front and back).
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

We haven't heard of a single warp-driven ship that doesn't use coils, nor have we seen one that doesn't have nacelles of some description, held away from the ship. The obvious conclusion is that the ring is the nacelle, and it holds coils.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Jordanis wrote:
Okay, so 1500 years of improvement then. Even more reason to see the differences. You can still see the vauge relationship between the TNG-era warbirds and ring nacelles. And we don't know for certain if Vulcans lacked two-nacelle ships. Ring nacelles may have been more logical for some reason.
No, I mean there was never a Romulan ring-nacelle ship. I suppose they might have been back at the split, but who knows there? And the D'deridex is the only Romulan ship with the split hull pseudo-ring (even though it has nacelles), the rest of the designs, including the one from Enterprise, are all two-nacelle ships.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Jordanis wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Jordanis wrote: But the Romulans split from the Vulcans quite some time before Enterprise. Their early designs are two-nacelle ships, anyway. And so is the Warbird.
No, I mean there was never a Romulan ring-nacelle ship. I suppose they might have been back at the split, but who knows there? And the D'deridex is the only Romulan ship with the split hull pseudo-ring (even though it has nacelles), the rest of the designs, including the one from Enterprise, are all two-nacelle ships.
Have you forgotten the romulan shuttle? That's two ships. And it may be a throwback to old designs, like how the Akiras resemble NX class ships. Why would the use old technology on modern ships? they may just be experimenting with warp field/hull shapes with new nacelles.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Jordanis wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote: Okay, so 1500 years of improvement then. Even more reason to see the differences. You can still see the vauge relationship between the TNG-era warbirds and ring nacelles. And we don't know for certain if Vulcans lacked two-nacelle ships. Ring nacelles may have been more logical for some reason.
Have you forgotten the romulan shuttle? That's two ships. And it may be a throwback to old designs, like how the Akiras resemble NX class ships. Why would the use old technology on modern ships? they may just be experimenting with warp field/hull shapes with new nacelles.
The shuttle, I guess, has two wing-like structures of opposite curvature that meet at the Nacelle. But it really, really looks like a fancy way to attach a normal nacelle to me. Someone (a writer or a romulan, depending on if we're in or out universe) thought it would be neat for the shuttle to recall the Warbird. You can hardly call it a ring, though.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Jordanis wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Jordanis wrote: No, I mean there was never a Romulan ring-nacelle ship. I suppose they might have been back at the split, but who knows there? And the D'deridex is the only Romulan ship with the split hull pseudo-ring (even though it has nacelles), the rest of the designs, including the one from Enterprise, are all two-nacelle ships.
The shuttle, I guess, has two wing-like structures of opposite curvature that meet at the Nacelle. But it really, really looks like a fancy way to attach a normal nacelle to me. Someone (a writer or a romulan, depending on if we're in or out universe) thought it would be neat for the shuttle to recall the Warbird. You can hardly call it a ring, though.
Do you have to argue with me about everything? There is still a reasonable design lineage that can be seen.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Do you have to argue with me about everything? There is still a reasonable design lineage that can be seen.
Do you have to be wrong about everything? There is no reasonable design lineage. At the time of the Vulcan ring ships, the split was ~1800 years in the past. At the same time, Romulans were using a two-nacelle design. The Warbird is also a two-nacelle design, it just happens that the hull is fashioned in a way so that it superficially bears a slight resemblance to the Vulcan ships.

The Vulcan design gets its shape from the way Vulcans made warp drives, apparently (since the rings glow). The Romulan design gets its shape from the Romulans liking to make their ships have sweeping large-area wings. In this case, they apparently decided that one sweeping wing didn't provide enough volume, or something.

The differences in their techbase indicate that they have been developing independently for a long time. They don't even use the same kind of energy weapons. The last 'vulcan' ship the Romulans had in their lineage was, again, 1800 years in the past. The only design commonality left is that they move through the same medium. That's the only commonality an aircraft carrier has with a trireme.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Jordanis wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Do you have to argue with me about everything? There is still a reasonable design lineage that can be seen.
Do you have to be wrong about everything? There is no reasonable design lineage. At the time of the Vulcan ring ships, the split was ~1800 years in the past. At the same time, Romulans were using a two-nacelle design. The Warbird is also a two-nacelle design, it just happens that the hull is fashioned in a way so that it superficially bears a slight resemblance to the Vulcan ships.

The Vulcan design gets its shape from the way Vulcans made warp drives, apparently (since the rings glow). The Romulan design gets its shape from the Romulans liking to make their ships have sweeping large-area wings. In this case, they apparently decided that one sweeping wing didn't provide enough volume, or something.

The differences in their techbase indicate that they have been developing independently for a long time. They don't even use the same kind of energy weapons. The last 'vulcan' ship the Romulans had in their lineage was, again, 1800 years in the past. The only design commonality left is that they move through the same medium. That's the only commonality an aircraft carrier has with a trireme.
No need to get personal. This is all opinion. Now I can see the common design lineage, but if you can't that's alright, not everyone has the imagination for that kind of thing. Oh and your Trireme and carrier do have something else in common, hull shape. Now there is obvious differences, but they still have the general shape needed for floating and moving at high speed(for that era).