Omega

Voyager
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Omega

Post by alexmann »

By the way, in "The Omega Directive" Seven thought she had found a way to stabilise omega. What if it worked?
ImageImage
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Dreadnought Class

Post by Lt. Staplic »

alexmann wrote:By the way, in "The Omega Directive" Seven thought she had found a way to stabilise omega. What if it worked?
Then one could stabilize Omega, that doesn't change the fact that no one in Starfleet or the Federation is going to risk the possibility of failure to let her try.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Agreed. Antimatter is unstable enough as it is. Adopting a power source that not only requires active containment to prevent it destroying the ship, but also to prevent it rendering FTL impossible over vast areas, would be utterly insane - far more so than anything even the Federation has done.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Omega is really quite fascinating in that respect. The potential for almost unlimited power, but at the risk of galaxy-wide catastrophe if it goes wrong even slightly. No matter how good your control technology is, imagine putting it on a starship and having somebody firing at you!

It's kind of like antimatter in that respect, both useful and dangerous, though on a much bigger scale.

It always amuses me when people in Trek react with such shock and amazement over what Spock termed our "dubious flirtation with atomic fission" in the 20th century. Yeah, right, people who go around sitting on top of buckets of antimatter are going to tell us that fission is dangerous.

:irony:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

It doesn't require active containment. Infact I just watched a bit and they actually stabilised in the episode. You would just need to reproduce that, which would be possible. Then harness that energy and use a couple of molecules et voila!
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

And if it destabilises, then you (and every interstellar civilisation for hundreds of light years) are fucked. Note that this stuff is so notoriously unstable that Starfleet, the organisation that tested a new method of propulsion by aiming an interstellar tsunami at an inhabited planet, decided it was too dangerous to work with.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

they get momentary stability for 3.2 seconds.....immediately after which the thing blows up....... and it was in containment while this happened IIRC.

But your still way underestimating the cost:benefit ratio here I think. your talking about using something for power which has the ability to completely wipe out your only method of travel between worlds if even the smallest thing goes wrong, which is easy to do considering how unstable omega is. Even if they could stabilize it under ideal conditions, a ship where they get shot at or find the anomaly of the week which could have untold effects on the molecule could very easily destabilize it and boom. Beyond that, given Starfleet's trackrecord for holding Antimatter, which is Much easier to contain and secure by the looks of things, I don't think they could keep omega stable for that long under ideal conditions.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Captain Seafort wrote:interstellar tsunami
???

What episode was this?
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

New Ground. Their approach experimentation is apparently to run some computer simulations and then jump straight to the full-scale prototype, without any laboratory or small-scale testing, and work on the assumption that it won't blow up in their faces.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Run some simulations of Omega and then work on the assumption that that won't blow up in your face.
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

alexmann wrote:Run some simulations of Omega and then work on the assumption that that won't blow up in your face.
They did. The result (which could have been predicted by anyone with half a working brain) was why they introduced the Omega Directive.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

alexmann wrote:Run some simulations of Omega and then work on the assumption that that won't blow up in your face.
No matter what simulations you run, no matter how certain you are that you are right, there will always be some chance that it will go wrong. And it only has to go wrong once to utterly screw your entire galaxy.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Using this method, take a gun... place it against your head and then finally pull the trigger. With the assumption your skull won't paint the wall. Really kid, just shut up already.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Omega

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. The Omega Directive makes a hell of a lot of sense. No way Omega wouldn't literally blow up in your face.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Omega

Post by Mikey »

Indeed. We're not talking about a ship blowing up if something goes wrong, or even a system being damaged. We're talking about everything in a practical sense going FUBAR.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer