DS9 era series thought...

Deep Space Nine
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

DS9 era series thought...

Post by USSEnterprise »

This kinda just came to me, do any of you think it would have been interesting to see a series based around some old ship during the Dominion War? We always see the best and the brightest of Starfleet, I just thought it would have been interesting to see some rag-tag group of a Miranda class or something fight through the battles during the war. I mean, try to preach about the Federation when your canon fodder :P
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: DS9 era series thought...

Post by Deepcrush »

The series wouldn't last through the first episode... :happydevil:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

We saw this. Remember Voyager?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Yeah, the Mirandas dropped like flies during the Dominion Wars.

Maybe a nice Nebula class, or dare I say it, an Excelsior.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

EXCELSIOR! (took care of it for ya, Deep.) Anyway, the premise fits with the DS9-era style, but sounds a bit like a one-trick pony to me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Mikey wrote:EXCELSIOR! (took care of it for ya, Deep.) Anyway, the premise fits with the DS9-era style, but sounds a bit like a one-trick pony to me.
Yeah, I just always thought it would be interesting to see a crew where not everyone is a genius. It wouldn't have to be a super old, underpowered ship, but seeing a crew manned by just, well, average people trying to fight a war they never wanted would be interesting. Maybe make it a science oriented Nebula class that gets recalled to the front lines and show the crew deal with the real stress of fighting a war. I mean, DS9 and the Defiant were manned by geniuses who had an uber powerful warship and were commanded by the god-like being known as The Sisko. They staffed the major strategic point in the entire war, so they had plenty of resources to call upon. We see in AR-558 that the lines were stretched really thin in the middle of the war. Seeing a crew of basically scientists try to deal with the horror's and stresses of war would have been way better than VOY imo. Of course...thats assuming they can't technobabble a solution to everything :P
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

The premise sounds interesting to me, altough I don't think you need to stick it to a specific ship class. Apart from the defiant pretty much every ship in starfleet seems to be supposed to operate in most scenarios and the nebula class did not seem very scientific to me, we first see her kicking cardassian butt when she was introduced, I believe the next apperance is during the klingon civil war serving under data in a military function and then we see her a few times during DS9 in a scientific function, seems pretty balanced.

Also, altough initally it would be interesting, maybe beeing ambushed during the opening of the war, I do think that they not only evacuated the civilians from their ships but also switched the non-war-essential personel from their ships for additional techs and security people. According to the producers certain War GCS didn't even have science facilities onboard so go figure. The dominion war wasn't a short term crisis were an unlucky physicist or chemist etc. finds him/herself face to face with the borg but a prolonged war, of course those people got rotated back as soon as possible, at least for training, if they are that short on personnel.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think it lends itself to being a bit maudlin or melodramatic... it sounds like it would easily become "M*A*S*H in space" but without the surgery or the mitigating pragmatism of DS9.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always thought you could get a good book out of one of the Frankensteins. Imagine a ship that threatened to fly apart if it went above Warp 3, cobbled together with duct tape and fond wishes, assigned to defend some unimportant base somewhere purely so that there could be a token defence there and a real ship could be freed up to go to the front lines.

And the crew, likewise not exactly the best of the best. Competent... but the people who came bottom of the class, the misfits, the people who screwed up their career with some mistake, or messed up politics, or got caught sleeping with the Admiral's daughter.

And then one day a Dominion attack ship comes calling...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I understand what you're saying and I even sort of agree - I just don't think it could make for a series.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It would however, probably do alright for one of the series of TV movies that I recall us voting as the best option for Trek post-Nemesis.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:It would however, probably do alright for one of the series of TV movies that I recall us voting as the best option for Trek post-Nemesis.
No doubt; but it would be old-hat by the time you got through more than three (or so) installments.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That's my point - it's interesting because of it's originality, so doing a single TV movie would be the best way to take advantage of that originality. Then move on and use a different concept for the next one, and the one after that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Yeah, I knew the idea wasn't really a viable scenario for a full blown series, but I thought it would make for an interesting show. Everytime we see Trek its always the best and brightest in a fancy new ship with all the latest tech.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

You mean like the Enil in Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and the E-A in the movies thereafter? The type of ship doesn't really matter imho. The more I think of it, DS9 itself was the series you are proposing. Sure they had the Sisko but truly, every one of the characters was - no matter how likable - also deeply flawed and deeply human. They had no Data, no Spock, their engineer wasn't even an officer etc etc. .

To be honest, every time Star Trek tried to sold us something or someone as uberadvanced and ubergenius (like Wesley Crusher and also, to a degree the E-D) they failed miserably. DS9 did never try so hard to sell us the protagonists as the creme de la creme of humankind, that is why imho they had the best series by far.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.