SF mission planning - pilot thread

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Weapons and Warfare

Post by Tyyr »

Well, when you're arriving directly on the target SMG's would be the way to go with skilled operators. However so far the plans that have used rifles have also been the plans that expect to fight or at least engage targets at 50 to 100 yards.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Well, when you're arriving directly on the target SMG's would be the way to go with skilled operators. However so far the plans that have used rifles have also been the plans that expect to fight or at least engage targets at 50 to 100 yards.
However, as most of Deep's objections to those plans demonstrate, the longer the range you start the fight at the more ground you have to cover, and consequently the more time the target and his guards have to recover from the initial shock. This means that a) the probability of him getting away goes up and b) the guards have a chance to get organised and fight back. It doesn't matter how shit they are or how good your guys are - the better organised they get and the more rounds they put down, the more likely it is that you're going to start suffering casualties.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:I'd also be a bit nervous about the use of assault rifles rather than SMGs. At range they're far superior, but once you're in the house I can see rounds overpenetrating, going through walls, etc, with a risk of hitting either the target or possibly even your own guys. That's why I went for pistol-calibre ammunition, and dropping the main force right on top of the compound, to get the range down ASAP and to minimise the time available for the target and guard force to react. Of course you've still got similar problems even with 9mm, but it's much reduced.
Fragmenting rounds instead of FMJ. Q.E.D. ;)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I would complain that dum-dum's illegal, but it would be a bit silly given the context. :lol:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Or, I could have opted for MP7's; but then I wouldn't have the modular grenade launchers, nor the modular shotguns (for breaching doors or close suppprt.) And I didn't say dum-dums; fragmenting rounds are different than controlled expansion rounds, and are common in law enforcement in the States.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well we had three mission profiles and for the most part they were pretty good. Would anyone like to continue with another mission?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sure, why not.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You know, this could make a very good addition to the Wargames forum. Someone thinks up a scenario, and others discuss how best to achieve the objectives with minimal losses. It's an interesting little mental exercise.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Is it bad that now with each building/room I walk into on campus I start thinking of the best way to attack/defend it?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've done that with Champion block at school. My instant reaction was the tarpaulin covered hole in Mr. Butterworth's room.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Well we had three mission profiles and for the most part they were pretty good. Would anyone like to continue with another mission?
Bring on the challenge. :)

Also, I second SG's suggestion regarding moving this to Wargames if it picks up.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Is it bad that now with each building/room I walk into on campus I start thinking of the best way to attack/defend it?
This thread happened to be the last thing I read last night. Upon walking into my class this morning and waiting for everyone to turn up, I began idly contemplating how best to fortify the room in the event of a sudden attack by armed gunmen.

Pros: Numerous heavy and thick wooden benches provide good cover. Sturdy doors into the room. Large storage room/office with heavy door and strong locks. Easy access to flammable chemicals in said storage room/office. Class is three floors up, thus I will get ample warning of any impending gun attack. Two nearby stairwells and an elevator allow for many escape routes. Several good hiding spots.

Cons: Two doors leading into the classroom. Room is three floors up, thus removing any chance of escaping via the window.

All in all, not a bad place to be.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

What, doesn't everyone do that?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, either I can run a mission post like this last one. OR, I can start using/making blueprints/maps for more detailed actions. This would be a revolving story line of missions. Each one tied to the one before.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Would it be possible to do both? Working up the detailed detailed mission(s) in slow time while posting short one-offs like this to give people a taste of the idea?

On another note, shall I split this one off into Wargames as a pilot mission thread, keeping future shorts here until such time as you're ready to launch the first full-scale sequence of missions?