Find The Founders XII

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Find The Founders XII

Post by Mark »

Would you people PLEASE relax? I've been in this mans fleet for a while now and seen enough to know that there are enough REAL threats to worry about without borrowing trouble.

Now, CALMLY, let's send a distress call as best we can for the moment, then focus on staying alive till help gets here. Ok?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Currently I have the system set to broadcast the fleet-standard SOS at regular intervals. Aux power was damaged so I have the thing set to run on batteries, hence the interval-broadcast as opposed to constant.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Maybe we could rig an adapter to drain the power from the energy cells of the damaged phasers....and with a little jury rigging, boost the overall transmission as well.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, well, we have all the stuff set up for a fire, and it's quite a good setup if I do say so myself... So, may I have a phaser to start this thing, or well, someone who knows how to actually use one can start it, that would probably be smart.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well first, what you DON'T want to do is fire a phaser into a wood pile. Even at its lowest setting it's going to blast it apart and waste most of the wood. Want you WANT to do is this

:::places a large rock in the center of the campfire:::

You use a rock, which can handle a bit more direct energy than a pile of wood.

:::thumbs phaser to lowest setting and fires into the rock:::

Now you heat the rock, until IT ignites the wood, and..........

:::rock begins to glow red hot and ignites the kindling which quickly spreads to the larger pieces of wood:::

....Now we've invented fire. By the way, since I started the fire I'm not cooking.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mark wrote:Maybe we could rig an adapter to drain the power from the energy cells of the damaged phasers....and with a little jury rigging, boost the overall transmission as well.
I don't much like the idea of sacraficing good ammunition just to make our broadcast that little bit more powerful. It's not going to make it much more likely that anyone will hear us. Best to just use the energy cells as backup ammunition for the working phasers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

It's not as if we're holding off a siege, Sionnach. With everything as it is, getting out of here sooner IS a priority.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ok I've taken an inventory. We don't have a complete medkit: seven assorted tricorders, two working hypos and a few vials of medication. Please no one get an infection.
We also have a few sutures and some bandages.
Everything else is trashed.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Thanks Mark, as I said, I'm a little behind on the times. An when I knew what was happening, I never read deeply into it, never needed to. Since you started the fire, I can cook, I'm not half bad at it.

As for the sending the signal and boosting it, the little power we have for the phaser will not be very useful, it would serve more use in the phaser in my opinion. I would also suggest we keep watch on the fire so that it doesn't run out of kindling, we have plenty of stuff around to burn, we just don't want to have to reignite the fire, as it would waste energy, I'll keep the fire going while I cook

:: gets up an begins looking for more kindling as well as any good food stuffs laying around ::

looks like we won't have much to eat besides te dehydrated food packs, but those should keep us good for the next few days, hopefully starfleet is looking for us...
The world ended

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

They better be.

Anyone got any reasonable plans on how to find the Founders. I have one, but it will only work under certain circumstances, and now isn't the time.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

stitch626 wrote: Anyone got any reasonable plans on how to find the Founders. I have one, but it will only work under certain circumstances, and now isn't the time.
Black Magic? Go around stabbing each other to see who bleeds?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sure, that sounds like a good plan. Provided you go first and we wait a day or so before stabbing anyone else to see if the local micro-organisms kill you.
Mark wrote:It's not as if we're holding off a siege, Sionnach. With everything as it is, getting out of here sooner IS a priority.
And what little power there is in the phasers will be of damn all use in terms of interstellar broadcasting. It'd barely raise the likelyhood of the message getting recieved at all. And given that we've got an unknown number of hostiles amongst us I'd feel rather more secure knowing we have weapons that are more than expensive clubs.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

"Is there a way to draw blood without infection? What are the chances of cutting someone's gum line for the blood? That heals fairly quickly. Don't tell me I'm the only one who bit a potato chip sideways."
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Monroe wrote:"Is there a way to draw blood without infection? What are the chances of cutting someone's gum line for the blood? That heals fairly quickly. Don't tell me I'm the only one who bit a potato chip sideways."
Not with what we have, we also don't know how fast the infection might get to us, it may kill us in a few hours, or a few weeks.

:: works on cooking the dehydrated meals::

I have three of these ready, they cook slowly on the fire, but I'm working on it. So, who would like to eat first?

So, we don't really have anything we can do to decipher who the founders are and who is themselves, the only other way I can think of is if we can somehow find anything out about each other. Where did you all come from, home towns? Stuff like that, at this point, it's the best bet we got. I'm from New York, then went to the academy when I was about 21, I barely passed, but I got a spot as a psychologist, and stuck with that instead of trying more with the academy. So, anyone else?
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nickswitz wrote:Not with what we have, we also don't know how fast the infection might get to us, it may kill us in a few hours, or a few weeks.
Then there's also the fact that we've nothing that's sterilised. All our equipment has been exposed to the air. Any micro-organisms would already have reached the blade by now, making cutting anyone just a quick way to kill them. And talking about our pasts and backgrounds and all that stuff is going to be of no help. Any of us could easily make up a story just like that off the top of our heads.

So we're left with sorting this out the old fashioned way: educated guesswork.