Asimov Robots, Empire, Foundation Books

celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Asimov Robots, Empire, Foundation Books

Post by celeritas »

Anybody read any of these classic sci-fi books?

I was quite taken by the foundation series that I actually read all of them over one summer once upon a time, and then, because of the linkage of the Empire and Robot series, I read most of those too! Its a shame that there won't be anymore books to flesh out the foundation storyline...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I love the Asimov books but think its' a travesty, when someone pops out a novel with 'Asimov' in huge letters and the real authors name in an ickle diddly font...like ''blah blah based on the worlds of ISAAC ASIMOV by tiny weeny name''......damn my crappy eyes!!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I know. I have yet to see anyone capture Asimov's style, and probably won't.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Agreed. People seem to want to cash in, often veiled as 'appreciative work' etc
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I liked the I, Robot series. I thought the movie did a descent job too of recreating that. A sequel to I, Robot would be nice.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

you mean the collection of short stories? i'm not aware of an I, Robot series, but there are other short story collections.

although the will smith movie had only a tangential relationship with the short story book, i thought it was a really entertaining movie and i would support a sequel as well.

however, i would have preferred movies based on the elijah bailey robot series. i thought it was a really interesting concept that asimov developed about overpopulation of future humans leading to living in close quarters and in "caves of steel" where they ended up developing a fear of open spaces that stifled the exploratory spirit of humanity. its too bad that the positronic robots have barely been explored on film or television (the exception being data).
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

celeritas wrote:you mean the collection of short stories? i'm not aware of an I, Robot series, but there are other short story collections.

although the will smith movie had only a tangential relationship with the short story book, i thought it was a really entertaining movie and i would support a sequel as well.
yeah sorry I was meaning the collection of short stories.

The Will Smith movie dealt with a very similiar topic to one or two of the short stories in I, Robot. It wasn't exactly like one of those stories but felt like it belonged with them.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It's been far too long since I've read the Foundation series, or any of his other work. Man... it's a shame too.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think some of his lesser known short stories are some of his greatest works - titles suich as "The Gods Themselves," "C-Chute," "Ina Good Cause-," "Sucker Bait," et. al. Aside from Asimov's skilled writing, they show a sense of irony more akin the Philip K. Dick's short storeis. BTW, the Diaboli from "In a Good Cause-" or also mentioned in my post to thread on "Favorite Aliens."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer