NX Class

Enterprise
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

NX Class

Post by DarkOmen »

Oh comeon, you knew it was coming :P I'm surprised Teaos or Cpt. Seafort didn't make this yet; but it's probably because they both despise the class so much :P

What do you think about our little abomination of a ship?

Personally, i like the catamaran design, and i love how simple it is, just a saucer and the nacelles essentially. But, the fact that has nothing of the design traits that a Pre- Constitution class should have, i dislike it. i would have much rather have seen a ship resembling a Daudelus class despite the clunky awkward look, than a sleek ship looking like it came from the 2360's...

I like it visually, i hate it conceptually.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Your right I didn't make this or the Conny thread since I dont like them. I figured other would if anyone cared enough :P

I do agree with you though. It is a good looking ship. Though I wonder why it wasn't painted...

But as a Trek ship it makes no sense. It bucks the trend to much.

I also hate the weapons system.

And the fact that it is to spacious. A ship this early on in space travel should look like a Russian sub. Cramped as hell with tiny rooms and halls.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I didn't make it because I refuse to acknoledge the fact that Enterprise exits. :P

If it were any other sci-fi series, or another Trek period, I'd like it. Its a fair design.

However, since its not in another series...

1) I hate the design. It dosen't fit at all with TOS era ships, which this is meant to be the predacessor to.

2) I hate the weapons.

3) I hate the "Polarised hull plating".

4) I hate the whole "Hull off line!" line. How stupid does this sound? Try saying "Wall off line!", you get the same basic result.

5) See my list of hates for every other TNG+ era ship. They nearly all apply.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

What sort of traits are 'pre-TOS designs' supposed to have, considering I don't think we've really seen any?

I love how it looks. It is the simplest Starfleet design you could have. Just a saucer and nacelles. And it looks less clean and orderly than the Connie.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They should have just made it, its own series, nothing to do with star trek, then i would have been good.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What sort of traits are 'pre-TOS designs' supposed to have, considering I don't think we've really seen any?
1) We have. IIRC, the Daedalus class was supposed to be pre TOS era.

2) Federation ships look the way they are supposedly because it helps them go faster at warp speed. So how would a race who has litteraly built their first inter-stellar ship know how to make a perfect shape?
Personally, I think this guy did a better job at making up pre TOS era ships than the entire ENT design team combined.
I love how it looks. It is the simplest Starfleet design you could have. Just a saucer and nacelles.
Except it shouldn't look like a Starfleet ship. This is literaly the first exploratory ship Earth built. There is no reason for the ship to be that shape, its a pathetic design whose only excuse was the slight gain in speed. Earth shouldn't know this, ergo they shouldn't design ships like this.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A proper Ent-era ship would have lasers, nukes, and armour, perhaps using the lasers as point defence against incoming missiles. Probably fusion-powered rather than M/AM, although you could give the Enterprise the first M/AM reactor. Probably the best solution would have been to make it a Daedalus - there's the basic primary hull-engineering hull-nacelles configuration, and it looks more primative than the pre-refit E-nil.

Probably the best technical aspect of the NX-01 was its magnetic clamps in place of tractor beams. Although it did remind me rather strongly of these things. :D
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Captain Seafort wrote:A proper Ent-era ship would have lasers, nukes, and armour, perhaps using the lasers as point defence against incoming missiles.
i agree, where are the nukes? a ship of this era should have weapons like nuclear missiles and some sort of ballistic or laser-based countermeasure system. i really disliked how phaser-like their "pulse canon" or whatever they called it was. i did like how they didn't have photon torpedoes, but then they suddenly added it to their complement like they just invented. With their polarized hull plating acting just like shields and things like that, it just seemed like nobody really spent any time developing the details for the series.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:
1) We have. IIRC, the Daedalus class was supposed to be pre TOS era.

2) Federation ships look the way they are supposedly because it helps them go faster at warp speed. So how would a race who has litteraly built their first inter-stellar ship know how to make a perfect shape?
Personally, I think this guy did a better job at making up pre TOS era ships than the entire ENT design team combined.
I love how it looks. It is the simplest Starfleet design you could have. Just a saucer and nacelles.
Except it shouldn't look like a Starfleet ship. This is literaly the first exploratory ship Earth built. There is no reason for the ship to be that shape, its a pathetic design whose only excuse was the slight gain in speed. Earth shouldn't know this, ergo they shouldn't design ships like this.
The Daedalus-class has never been seen onscreen except for a small model on Sisko's desk which might be how that ship looks. It was used in the Chronology which is quasi-canon, but we have never seen any images of the Daedalus in canon.

And it is Starfleet. Earth Starfleet, as mentioned numerous times in the series. And the NX was the first warp-five vessel, not the first exploratory ship, IIRC. It's not pathetic. It's simple, clean and a fundamental distillation of Starfleet design to the basics.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah the Weapons annoy me as much as the design.

That was a huge slap in the face for continuity.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:A proper Ent-era ship would have lasers, nukes, and armour, perhaps using the lasers as point defence against incoming missiles. Probably fusion-powered rather than M/AM, although you could give the Enterprise the first M/AM reactor. Probably the best solution would have been to make it a Daedalus - there's the basic primary hull-engineering hull-nacelles configuration, and it looks more primative than the pre-refit E-nil.

Probably the best technical aspect of the NX-01 was its magnetic clamps in place of tractor beams. Although it did remind me rather strongly of these things. :D
The creators wanted there to be a story arc that explained the creation of Transporters but the studio demanded they have transporters from the get-go.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So many things about the NX-class seemd just like renaming tech that was established to be TOS era or later, just in the name of avoiding any real work on the part of the writers or production team. Can't have phasers? OK, let's use phasers and call them "phase cannon." Can't have shields? OK let's use shields and call it "polarized hull plating." (BTW, how can you polarize something that is not translucent to EM radiation?)

The design of the ship itself is neat looking, but not for a 'Trek prequel franchise. Whether or not it's a good design, it should have followed a logical regression from TOS ships.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah Polarised plating was the worst for me. Its like a cross between a shields and SIF which even the connys didnt have.

BTW Congrats LT Mikey

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It just doesn't make sense - you polarize something transparent to energy to allow only waves that vibrate along one particular axis. You can't polarize something that's not permeable to light. And even if you could, how is it a defense to be designed to allow a part of the incoming energy through?

I have posted elsewhere how one could extrapolate a design succession from NX onward, but the show should have done that.

BTW, thank you, Teaos.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The Daedalus-class has never been seen onscreen except for a small model on Sisko's desk which might be how that ship looks. It was used in the Chronology which is quasi-canon, but we have never seen any images of the Daedalus in canon.
I believe we saw them in TOS. Although I may be wrong. The fact remains it looks completely out of place for a TOS style ship, and these ships are supposed to be the predecessors for TOS ships.
And it is Starfleet.
So? 22nd century Starfleet =/= 24th century Starfleet.
They shouldn't have any similarities besides the name and rank structure.
And the NX was the first warp-five vessel, not the first exploratory ship, IIRC.
You're right. That should read "the first deep space exploration vessel".
The point remains they should still be mostly ignorant of what shape is best.
It's not pathetic.
Like I said, it has every design flaw Starfleet ever thought up and adds a few new ones. I'd call that pathetic.
It's simple, clean and a fundamental distillation of Starfleet design to the basics.
Except it shouldn't look like a Starfleet ship at all. Why the hell does it look like an Akira, a ship that wont be invented for another two hundred years. What happened to Starfleets sleek designs during TOS? They shouldn't be sleek at all back then. They should be modular and primitive looking.

And congrats Mikey!