The Narada

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Mr. P.N. Guin
Petty officer third class

The Narada

Post by Mr. P.N. Guin »

Greetings all, as a way to say hi I thought I'd ask what others thought of this ship?
Personally I was not that impressed. Yeah it was big and different looking, had plenty of advanced weapons, and being from the future it was more than a match for the ships of that time. Yes I do know the backstory and the upgrades it got but even that didn't do much for me. I personally liked the Scimitar from Nemesis better. Yes the movie wasn't a great one but at least the ship looked like it was built with a purpose, and I thought their genocidal weapon was better (at least you could use the planet afterward). So how did you all like it? And if you weren't crazy about it which enemy ship did you like better?
Some days, you just can't git rid of a bomb.
-BATMAN
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Narada

Post by Atekimogus »

I too was not overly impressed.

The best space battle so far is still imho E-A vs Reliant and here is a shocker, no supership involved. I do not like superships for whom you need a....creative plot device........to bring them down.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I for one don't know the bcak story for the ship and dont really care since it isnt canon.

What I do wonder is why the hell a mining vessel is so heavily armed. That thing should have a few low powered disruptors fr basic defence and thats it. Even by "modern" (meaning TNG era) standards that was a powerful ship.

Why?

Also the over all design didnt make a lot of sense. Sure it looked cool, but couldnt it look practical and cool?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Even if the ship was Borgified I'm having trouble seeing how this thing was a functioning mining vessel. You'd expect a ship like that to be very utilitarian in appearance. The Narada was not.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Re the Borgification... the ship looked utterly different beforehand. It was quite small, and conventional in appearance. Here, I'll show you.

The Borg tech completely rebuilt it. There's precedent for that; remember how the Borg tech in Regeneration rebuilt that Starfleet research ship?

As for the torpedoes. I take them to be mining charges of some sort. A mining ship might have the role of blasting large asteroids into chunks and then gathering up the chunks to process them. They'd need to be able to fire large numbers of powerful charges for that. I can even imagine those big pointy spikes spreading out to grab hold of an asteroid or something. Kind of a strange image, but it works somewhat.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

*weeps that they managed to fit the Borg into the new franchise*

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Teaos wrote:*weeps that they managed to fit the Borg into the new franchise*
The borg are the "enemy of the universe", and as such, I believe they had a need to incorporate them, in their mind at least.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Right, the Borg haven't been destroyed in this new timeline. ;)

Were they even destroyed in the Prime timeline?

I thought I remembered reading that First Contact was supposed to show the destruction of the Borg, but then they showed up in Voyager.

And it was said that the Queen's consciousness could be beamed back to the collective and another queen cloned.

And I don't think they were even destroyed in the Prime timeline, Voyager only took out one transwarp hub, I thought it was implied that they had thousands of such devices?

And why does everyone hate the Borg? :lol:

I think the idea that the Narada was a 'normal' ship and then got transformed into something ginormous is pretty cool; I've always liked Borg tech so maybe I'm biased. ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:And I don't think they were even destroyed in the Prime timeline, Voyager only took out one transwarp hub, I thought it was implied that they had thousands of such devices?
Seven of Nine stated that there were only six in the galaxy.
LaughingCheese wrote:And why does everyone hate the Borg? :lol:
I don't, when they're done correctly.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:And I don't think they were even destroyed in the Prime timeline, Voyager only took out one transwarp hub, I thought it was implied that they had thousands of such devices?
Seven of Nine stated that there were only six in the galaxy.
LaughingCheese wrote:And why does everyone hate the Borg? :lol:
I don't, when they're done correctly.
Ah, see, its been a while. But still, only one out of six, not a huge blow right?

But the Borg Do still exist in the Prime universe right?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:Ah, see, its been a while. But still, only one out of six, not a huge blow right?
15% reduction in capabilities isn't a huge blow, but it would certainly hurt. The Unicomplex was also destroyed, which would probably be a greater blow than the lost hub. Trillions of Borg dead? Ouch.
LaughingCheese wrote:But the Borg Do still exist in the Prime universe right?
As far as I'm aware, yes.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mr. P.N. Guin

Post by Mr. P.N. Guin »

Tyyr wrote:Even if the ship was Borgified I'm having trouble seeing how this thing was a functioning mining vessel. You'd expect a ship like that to be very utilitarian in appearance. The Narada was not.
I thought that too. I mean they had all those platforms sticking out everywhere where you apparently have to jump around to get places. Form and Function must not be high on the list for Romulan mining ships; And that is going by the "It's a simple mining vessel." quote from the Captain of the ship, totally ignoring the comic book backstory, because let's face it, Countdown was good but none of it was really used for the movie.
Some days, you just can't git rid of a bomb.
-BATMAN
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos wrote:What I do wonder is why the hell a mining vessel is so heavily armed. That thing should have a few low powered disruptors fr basic defence and thats it.
Who says it was heavily armed? A modern day supertanker could probably take down centuries old ships if it was upgraded with what we'd consider low-threat armaments. That a ship centuries more advanced than the nE-Nill was capable of kicking ass is no real surprise to me.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Did you see the amount of weapons that thing had? I'm not talking about the power which is hard to judge, but the share number? It had dozens, it should have 1 or 2.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given the sheer size of the ship, it'd need dozens to cover all angles of approach. Particularly when you factor in the bizzare design.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"