Nods to past 'Trek

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Nods to past 'Trek

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

There were a lot of 'em! One review I read called them "heavy handed," though I mostly got a smile out of them. Do we have any comments on them, favorites?

The origins of the name James Tiberius Kirk (in this timeline anyway) were interesting, but one of my favorites was the origin story offered for the nickname "Bones" McCoy. Of course, the Kobiyashi Maru sim was good too, and it was even worked into the plot fairly smoothly.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nods to past 'Trek

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One thing that has struck me is just how MANY of McCoy's lines were repetitions of TOS classics. Just off the top of my head we got "I'm a doctor, not a...", "Green blooded hobgoblin!", "Dammit Jim!", and "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?!"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Done saw it, done loved it. Well, mostly, the beer brewery engineering is really that bad as is the wind shield .
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm with Graham, about McCoy's lines stealing the show at points. I also thought Kirk eating the apple at the end of the Kobayashi Maru, similar to eating the apple in the Genesis Cave while smirking about his solution was a great throwback.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Bryan Moore wrote:I'm with Graham, about McCoy's lines stealing the show at points. I also thought Kirk eating the apple at the end of the Kobayashi Maru, similar to eating the apple in the Genesis Cave while smirking about his solution was a great throwback.
People might take issue with the odds of the same events occurring, but I think it makes sense that Kirk would do pretty much the same thing in any timeline in response to a "no-win" scenario. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One of the themes of the movie is destiny - the idea is that pretty much no matter what happened, destiny would bring these people to this place to be where they needed to be. That's why there are such "coincidences" as Kirk just happening on Spock in the cave when he had a whole planet to pick on, and Scotty just happening to be on the nearby outpost, etc. It's not coincidence. It's fate.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Hmm, I'm not a fan of the idea of fate.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Heavy handed? McCoy's lines might have been, if they weren't pretty much catchphrases. The reused lines were things he'd repeat (or some very close variation there of) dozens of times in the future. It'd be like saying a TNG prequel had heavy handed references for young Picard saying "Engage" or "Number 1".

Most of the references were quick and easy to miss or so obscure it'd be hard for anyone but a major Trekkie to even catch. For instance Scotty's tribble. It's there and you can see it quick if you know to look for it but I'd bet most people going into the movie not knowing about it wouldn't spot it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Hmm, I'm not a fan of the idea of fate.
Me either. High probability works better for me.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

"I'm givin' it all she's got, Captain" :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Seeing Uhura's earpiece was cool. And the tribble. I love tribbles.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:...I love tribbles.
Why don't you marry one, then? :poke:
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

How about the warp throttle handle? They stole that right off the NSEA Protector :)
to have succeeded.”
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

thelordharry wrote:How about the warp throttle handle? They stole that right off the NSEA Protector :)
Or the TMP Enterprise.. {cough}
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

me,myself and I wrote:
thelordharry wrote:How about the warp throttle handle? They stole that right off the NSEA Protector :)
Or the TMP Enterprise.. {cough}
"Pedal to the metal, Commander!"
to have succeeded.”