Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Get out your balls!

Post by Teaos »

Crystal balls that is... sicko'.

So now that a sequal is pretty much assured bets on what its gonna be about. I know we have zero evidence for this but screw it, in 3 years we can point here and say we got it first.

My bets on the Klingons, we've had Romulans, I hope and pray (figure of speech Mikey) that its not the Borg. Dispite what that interview Rochey linked to said I hope they dont rehash a TOS plot like the whale probe. Sincce we are still in the past it kind of rules out a new threat. They might go for a old/new one like the Tholians... that would be sweet.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Get out your balls!

Post by Tyyr »

Money is on Klingons, praying for Tholians.

Based off the timeline they're a good what, 20 years from any of the movie plots? Besides, I have trouble seeing JJ saying "Yeah, now that I've shaped Trek to my vision of it let me remake someone else's movie." I think he'll push it out to something else. Given how little has been done with the Tholians they're a good place to go to do something original. I'd be all for Gorn too but I don't think a race of mini-godzillas would make it in Hollywood now.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I imagine it'll be Klingon's too, but I really do think it would be good to get some more early conflict development of the Tholians.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

They should go for a horror film and have the Terran system invaded by a force of chirpy Talaxians Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghghg!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Tribbles anyone?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Abrams is on record saying he thinks Klingons are done to death (I agree. TMP, SFS, TFF, TUC, and GEN. 5 out of 11 movies!?) so I doubt they'd have more than a cameo. Given the writers involved, I'd say it's quite possible a race like the Tholians will be involved.

Maybe with the new faster warp drives (transwarp?), they'll make contact with the Husnock sooner...

Or, the Sheliak.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

thelordharry wrote:They should go for a horror film and have the Terran system invaded by a force of chirpy Talaxians Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghghg!
:laughroll:
Teaos wrote:Tribbles anyone?
:laughroll: :laughroll:
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tholians would be cool. A very untouched power in Trek. And relatively close to Sol too.

My vote is for something political. Show maybe a Federation break down as the calming factor of the Vulcans die out. The communist ideas versus the capitalism ideals. Could be kind of interesting.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I say Gorn. Little explored power, alien in form (love to see Gorn done with really good CGI), powerful, smart. But let's not make them moooooove reeeeeealy sloooooooooowly this time.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Abrams is on record saying he thinks Klingons are done to death (I agree. TMP, SFS, TFF, TUC, and GEN. 5 out of 11 movies!?) so I doubt they'd have more than a cameo. Given the writers involved, I'd say it's quite possible a race like the Tholians will be involved.
I'd like a small role for the Klingons, just to help flesh out the new timeline, but I agree that they've been overdone. I think the Tholians would have a lot of potential, given their mysterious and non-humanoid nature.
GrahamKennedy wrote:But let's not make them moooooove reeeeeealy sloooooooooowly this time.
rggggghhhhaaaahey! *throws boulder very slowly*
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm going for the Tholians.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:I'm going for the Tholians.
Right, is the OP question, "What do we want to see?" or "What are they likely to do?"

If the former, I'm voting either Tholian, Sheliak, Husnock, or Gorn. If the latter, they might just mix things up and have the Cardassians be the enemies. We don't know.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's both what we want and what we think will be done.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Whole new species =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I absolutely do NOT want Cardassians, Borg, Ferangi, or any other TNG Era species....even with their faster warpspeeds, I think it's best to just leave that....

I think it would be great to see the Tholians as the main enemy, maybe with growing troble from the Klingons as well, kind of a minor plot point to awknowledge the importance of the Federation-Klingon relationship without doing another movie on them.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.