Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Writers discuss the "nits"

Post by Graham Kennedy »

See article

Interesting stuff here. Notably :

Nero didn's spend 25 years sitting around. His ship was crippled by the impact with the Kelvin and his crew and he were captured by the Klingons and put in prison. That's where they spent the next 25 years, before escaping and retaking the ship.

Kirk's mom was on the Kelvin because she's a Starfleet officer. That's why his step dad refers to her being "off planet" when he is ranting at Kirk on the phone.

The classic car belonged to Kirk's dad, and he stole it because his stepdad threatened to sell it. His stepdad is an absolute asshole, apparently.

The Orion girl worked in the computer lab; she helped Kirk cheat on the Kobayashi Maru test, which is why he slept with her.

Kirk fired on the Narada when the black hole engulfed it rather than leaving it to die, because it had already survived going through a black hole once; if it survived it again who knows where or when it would end up, or what it would do when it got there.

The giant pit in Iowa is a quarry. I though this one was pretty obvious myself - look at the canyon walls, they are OBVIOUSLY not natural.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: The Writers discuss the "nits"

Post by stitch626 »

And half of our complaints are solved. Interesting, and helpful for site info too.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Nero didn's spend 25 years sitting around. His ship was crippled by the impact with the Kelvin and his crew and he were captured by the Klingons and put in prison. That's where they spent the next 25 years, before escaping and retaking the ship.
Gah! Me want more scenes in movie!
His stepdad is an absolute asshole, apparently.
And for those here who are into Heroes, the unseen stepdad was played by Greg Grunberg. From what I've heard, every JJ Abrams project has to include a red ball ("red matter" in this case) and a Greg Grunberg appearance.
Kirk fired on the Narada when the black hole engulfed it rather than leaving it to die, because it had already survived going through a black hole once; if it survived it again who knows where or when it would end up, or what it would do when it got there.
Must be some crazy new kind of black hole. ;)
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Dangit!!!

They SERIOUSLY need to do a Peter Jackson LOTR-esque special edition WITH these scenes included.

Man, looks like they cut all the WRONG scenes in this film!! :?

You shouldn't have to go to outside sources to understand the film. It should be a self contained unit, the plot explained through scenes and dialogue.

And I really wouldn't mind an epic 3 hour long Trek movie, if it was as good as this one was. :lol:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I would have slept with the Orion girl just because, no ulterior motive.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

LOL & Jeyl's comment:

"we have a bright future ahead of us."

Of course! .but only if you're on Deck 1 (The Bridge) because anything below that is either a rusting septic system or a beer brewery complete with over-extending pipes, knobs, steel grates, light fixtures and concrete floors.

In fact, these areas of the Enterprise and the people that work in them shows a clear violation of Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1983 that clearly states "Duty Care" must be maintained in areas that have complex layouts and movable suspended structures that are for all intents and purposes are movable. And since Starships are known to endure a lot of stress and shaky situations at times, you'd think that wearing any form of protection would be common place. To see so many Starfleet Officers walk around with no safety gear is like showing off your ice sculptures in an oven.

In short, the term "bright future ahead of us" is no longer a metaphor but an actual litereal fact, becacuse a society that no longer has the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1983 clearly does not care for the well being of the crew. And since they've recently put an inexperienced, no talent, arrogant a-hole in command of one of their flagships, I cannot reach any other conclusion other than this.

Starfleet is dumb.
:lol:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Tyyr wrote:I would have slept with the Orion girl just because, no ulterior motive.
I agree with the other horn dog =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Nero didn's spend 25 years sitting around. His ship was crippled by the impact with the Kelvin and his crew and he were captured by the Klingons and put in prison. That's where they spent the next 25 years, before escaping and retaking the ship.
Still haven't seen the movie, but that begs the question of whether the Klingons were able to study it during that period. They could very well have a significantly upgraded fleet after this as well. Unless this was addressed in the movie.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Of all the scenes to cut, that Klingon scene was rather important! But if they DID study the tech, it wasn't long enough methinks, because the Klingons got they're butts whipped by the Narada, and haven't conquered the galaxy, YET :worried:

To bad they never explained the galaxy ending "supernova" or how Spock could watch Vulcan go bye-bye as if it was closer than our own moon.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mark wrote:Of all the scenes to cut, that Klingon scene was rather important! But if they DID study the tech, it wasn't long enough methinks, because the Klingons got they're butts whipped by the Narada, and haven't conquered the galaxy, YET :worried:

To bad they never explained the galaxy ending "supernova" or how Spock could watch Vulcan go bye-bye as if it was closer than our own moon.
yeah, that was the most irritating thing for me. :?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Overall, I think the plot was contrived and heavy handed (the time traveling supervillain, the incredibly young captain, the exploding planets), but as the production team has intimated, I suppose it might have been necessary to revive the franchise.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark wrote:To bad they never explained the galaxy ending "supernova"
They explained that in the Countdown comic. See my thread about it for details.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Are they considering that cannon?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Nope.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They've stated it's not canon.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"