Possible New RP Discussion Thread

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Possible New RP Discussion Thread

Post by Monroe »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Well, it's Monroe's idea. i could help with research, setting, etc.
I'm not really up for running it. I don't think people liked my structured approach to the Star Wars RP. I'll help organize but I worry I'd take too much control of the situation ;)
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I wish I could, but I've got one ongoing, plus the new FTF, etc.

It seems we've gone to picking established major characters from each universe - was this the original intent, or were we supposed to create a more generic character?

Anyway, I'm still debating... maybe a Librarian or Chaplain, or even something from a different universe.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

K, new question: do abilities specific to other universes work wherever we're going? That is, do chars from SW still have access to the Force; do psykers from WH40k still have their powers; can Vulcans still Mind Meld?

If it's "yes," I've got a new idea for a good character. Actually, a very nasty one, from one of the worst 40k novels ever, but a character who will be lots of fun to play. :twisted:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I was going to suggest we work under the assumption that all powers affect other characters as per normal.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cool. I have to go sort through a couple of books for more specific information, but I'm thinking of particular berserker Librarian of the Deathwatch.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That is perfect!!!! The God-Emperor will be greatly pleased.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

ya, I'd say all powers still work on all others....otherwise it wouldn't make much sence to bring a superhero...then find out he can do jack crap in this universe.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Or bring in... anyone, for that matter.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Try not to bring in anyone that is God-like in power. That would just kill the story.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:Try not to bring in anyone that is God-like in power. That would just kill the story.
That's part of why I picked Jack Bauer; his reactions to extremely powerful characters like Optimus Prime or others would be fun to write. His unwavering loyalty to justice, and combat skills would come in handy in some cases, but for the most part, he'd be the small fry. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I picked my character one for combat but also because of his experience. Dreadnoughts are hardened, highly trained and greatly experienced fighters. Some have fought for thousands of years as my character has. Unlike most Space Marines who are fanatics and overly happy to just kill everyone around. Dreadnoughts tend to be much more tempered in things. For me that makes it easier to blend him into the group. He's fought both with and against scores of races and nations. He's not a brain trust or scientist but he's no fool either. So far, only OpPrime has even a chance too match his level of combat experience. However, someone like Jack Bauer would be a great asset to my character. Filling in the skills that dozens of life times of combat still can't teach you.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:...However, someone like Jack Bauer would be a great asset to my character. Filling in the skills that dozens of life times of combat still can't teach you.
That was my thought. Besides, two-story tall robots or power-armored super-soldiers generally can't engage the enemy without drawing some attention. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Very true... However... My guy can just sit and wait anywhere. Doesn't really matter. Plus his drop pod means he can be anywhere you need him... VERY QUICKLY AND LOUDLY! :happydevil:

OpPrime however would be useful... he could always scan another vehicle of some kind and transport you around.

Oh, BTW, here's a basic character setup for me.

Huron-Fel of the Deathguard.
Dreadnought, Venerable Ironclad. (Means very big, very old, very tough)
Left arm - Power claw with heavy flamer.
Right arm - Power claw with twin heavy bolters.
Left shoulder - Missle pod mount.
Right shoulder - Dual lascannons.

For those who don't know...
Power claws are claws that have the power to crush cars and trucks like paper.
Flamers are flamethrowers, a heavy flamer is a BIG flamethrower.
Heavy Bolters are 25mm, rapid firing cannons. AP rounds with explosive cores.
You should be able to guess about the missle pod...
Lascannon is a LASER cannon that can punch through a MBT.
Last edited by Deepcrush on Mon May 11, 2009 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

For those who know even less... dreadnoughts are huge, walking, armored chassis which are used to house the bodies of Space Marines who are not quite killed, but too badly injured to fix with bionics and surgeries. Cpl Kendall's av is an example - more info here. As a size reference - the rectangular box that projects in front of the chassis (in the first pic at that link, it's the section with the skull and cross decoration) is itself a coffin for a three-meter-tall person.

Anyway, I was thinking of fun RP opportunities as well as not being too Mary-Sue with my final selection: Librarian Ashok originally of the Angels Sanguine chapter, currently seconded to the Deathwatch. Librarians are Space Marines with psychic (ususally offensive) powers, but still genetically, psychologically, and surgically engineered to be superhuman warriors. Ashok himself is a powerful Librarian and one of the only members of the Blood Angels or successor chapters to overcome the Black Rage, but its effects can and do pop up at any time, turning him into an indiscriminate ball of incredibly powerful physical and psychic violence, a danger to friend and foe alike. He first succumbed before being seconded to the Deathwatch during a battle between the Angels Sanguine and a brood of Tyranids - he subsequently destroyed an entire cave complex full of the beasts, along with three of his own battle-brothers. He is on constant guard against (and in constant fear of, if a Space Marine can be said to have fear) the Black Rage taking hold, and takes steps to avoid it - he also tends to separate himself somewhat from his Deathwatch kill-teams when possible, sometimes having worked on secret agendas for his Inquisitorial masters.

I was thinking of a terminator but we already have Deep for heavily-armored short-range firepower and close combat ability, and I didn't really want to have that degree of invulnerability. Standard Space Marine power armor is more than sufficient, and Ashok's flaws and mistrustful nature sound like fun. Detailed physical description will be included in his intro post.

Deep - are you talking about pre-Heresy Death Guard, or a Chaos marine?... *EDIT* never mind.:oops:
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I was thinking about it and I guess if someone wants to co-run it with me then I can mod it.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-