Weekly Poll

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Weekly Poll

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought Data was the Operations officer, not the science officer.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: Weekly Poll

Post by Lazar »

Memory Alpha has him listed as Ops Officer and Science Officer. Considering Spock, maybe it's common for the science officer to do double duty as something else.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:Memory Alpha has him listed as Ops Officer and Science Officer. Considering Spock, maybe it's common for the science officer to do double duty as something else.
I think by TNG, or at-least on the E-D, Operations Chief/Science Officer were occaisonally lumped together. And as Admiral McCoy pointed out so succinctly in the Tales of the Dominion War anthology, "He's an android Bev, he can multitask."(speakind to Dr.Crusher)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, he seemed to have the duties of both.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

okay, thanks, just thought I'd clarify that for my own personal confusion.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No problem. Glad to be of service. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

As such.........I wonder why they didn't put him in blue????
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

His primary responsability was probably Ops, and that's traditionally the same engineering yellow.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, his science position was probably a secondary duty.
twitch2oh
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class
Location: Always where I am, sometimes where I was and never where I'm supposed to be.

Post by twitch2oh »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to do this, but I have a suggestion for the polls...

They have been doing a best/worst *insert position here* right? Well, what if for once they did a poll about the best-looking or weidest crew memeber of star trek? Or maybe a three part poll instead of the usual "do one and flip it around"? Just spitballing... Might even be fun!
Twitch + NOS = Pill-z
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Interesting concept, the "weirdest looking" one. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They don't seem to have a dedicated science officer as such in TNG. The heavy technobabble is split between Geordi and Data, and of the two Data seems to be the closest thing there is to a science officer.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

sometimes they had science officers, like the episode where Picard falls for the Cheif of Astrocartography, and then she is almost killed by the fire stormes on the colony their evacuating (sorry for the poor discription, I can't remember the title.)
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Yes, that was "Lessons". Maybe the GCS has a more decentralized system (with multiple high ranking officers specializing in different sciences) because it's so big and has so many science facilities.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:Yes, that was "Lessons". Maybe the GCS has a more decentralized system (with multiple high ranking officers specializing in different sciences) because it's so big and has so many science facilities.
That's the impression I got. She may be head of stellarcartography, but that doesn't mean she's head Science officer.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."