Mirror, Mirror on the wall...

Enterprise
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Mirror, Mirror on the wall...

Post by Foxbat »

Overall, I wasn't excited by much in this series until they hit on the Mirror Universe episodes. I really liked how they went about it, from the change in intro, to the plot, and the moral inversions of the characters.

I always wondered if you could pull off a Mirror Universe series or mini series, or if it's just too dark for a mainstream audience.

And I, too, am 1st to post in this thread. Do I get the nerd badge of honor with dork clusters?
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I always thought about that. The problem with the mirror universe is that it was so far over the top, that it worked for an episode or two at a time. But any more than that, and I think you'd have a lot of people rolling their eyes. In my opinion, even pulling it off as much as they did on DS9 was impressive, as it could have gotten old really fast. That being said, I'd be far more interested in a book on the topic than a mini-series. Edward Gibbons XXV's "Decline and Fall of the Terran Empire" or something of the sort. =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I rather liked the mirror universe and find the episodes involving it to be quite interesting. It would be interesting to do a series set there but, as Bryan Moore said, its a bit over the top and so it probably wouldn't work for too long.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

I'd settle for a movie thattakes place in the mirror universe.
Ferrarius
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by Ferrarius »

I think that the entire magic of the mirror universe is because there are only a few episodes about it. So we can fill the rest in with our imagination as in, Hey, how would mirror kirk do that, would he still be alive etc etc.
Basing an entire series on it would take away this magic, so other than being over the top I think it would be a great waste of time and money.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, you make a good point there. :|
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

An entire series on it would leave no characters alive by the end :D
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Crushproof wrote:An entire series on it would leave no characters alive by the end of the fifth episode :D
Fixed =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

All the plotting and backstabing would be great to watch though. :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I agree a mini series or movie would be great but a series would be next to impossible to do well.

Trek is famous for hiring average actors that grow into their parts. Imagin the first series of people being told they are totally amoral... not pretty.

Also they would sex it up to much. We saw how they treated their woman the producers couldnt help but throw in random sex stuff all the time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ugh, don't remind me of how they tried to sex up Enterprise. :x
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

Hey now, Linda Park.

Admit it, you would.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Admitted. :)

Still, it wasn't even like it was subtle. More like a hand reaching out of the screen and smacking you over the head with a sledgehammer.
That and they did it poorly.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Honestly I wouldn't want it in the shows.

If she decided to pose for some pictures I'd be all for it.

In the show though I wouldn't like it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly, Trek isn't the type of show for that. I think the powers that be were trying to apeal to a broader range of viewers, rather than just sticking with the existing fan base.