Classic sci fi movies

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Classic sci fi movies

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Let's come up with the list of "must have" classic science fiction movies. And just for giggles, let's have you explain why your pick is such a classic.

I don't object to modern movies being involved if you really want to, but we all know that such a collection would have the Star Wars and Matrix movies, so do we really need to bother listing them? I'd like to hear about the older, groundbreaking movies!

I am going for Forbidden Planet. One of the first movies that showed interstellar travel as a "workmanlike" affair, done by somebody other than egghead scientist types. It was a huge influence on the likes of Star Trek; check out the banter between the senior officers, the "monster" that turns out to be anything but a cliche. There's even a babe for the captain to fall for!

Add in great dialogue, a plot that is interesting and thought provoking, and you even get to see Leslie Nielsen not cracking jokes! What more could anybody ask?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'll second Forbidden Planet, one of the greats that's still watchable today. And I'll nominate a movie from the 60's whose name I can't remember. I belive it's based of an Issac Asimov book where they recover a secret agent and then shrink a submarine with a crew inside to send in his brain to remove a clot.

*Edit: It's called Fantastic Voyage.
Last edited by Aaron on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Mmm... Classic sci-fi...

I think I would say Tron. I like the portrayal of the world within computers. :)
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'd disagree with the Matrix movies. The first was a great commentary on paranoia, and an interesting concept, but the sequels, once the novelty of the basic premise had worn off, were distinctly average.

Per the OP - Silent Running. A good underlying concept of the agricultural ship, and it introduced the "cute little robot" stock character.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

i must go with 2001: a space odyssey with its incredibly huge story, its rare to see a movie with such depth. for those who didn't get the movie, go check out: http://www.kubrick2001.com/.

is bladerunner considered classic sci-fi? in fact, i'm not sure if 2001 or bladerunner would be considered "classic", being not from the era of forbidden planet, but both have clearly made quite an impact in film and sci-fi.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Bladerunner was going to be my choice. It has to be one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. But if we go by that as classic, Star Wars gets shoved up there too.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

yes, unfortunately i don't know very many pre-70's sci-fi movies. in fact, both bladerunner and tron was released before my time.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Logan's Run is a great 70's classic. Wikipedia has a basic outline of it.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

celeritas wrote:yes, unfortunately i don't know very many pre-70's sci-fi movies. in fact, both bladerunner and tron was released before my time.
Before mine, too. :)
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Don't make me out to be TOO old, guys - Blade Runner was early 80's. BTW - read the novel - Philip K. Dick's [/i]Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

What about
The Day The Earth Stood Still
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Mikey wrote:Don't make me out to be TOO old, guys - Blade Runner was early 80's.
yup. that makes it a quarter century old and a year older than me =p

i read parts of electric sheep but i never finished it. kind of want to check out the minority report short story...no time though; med school is the monster that consumes my life.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:Don't make me out to be TOO old, guys - Blade Runner was early 80's. BTW - read the novel - Philip K. Dick's [/i]Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

What about
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Klatuu, Nikto, Barada!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

hey congrats lieutenant moore on that promotion there!

so, speaking of philip dick, has anybody seen the a scanner, darkly movie with keanu reeves? i heard from my friends that it was rather boring.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thank you and congrats, Lt. Moore! I was starting to feel like I would have to post responses from a retirement home!

I've seen bits of A Scanner, Darkly on cable, and it looks like it's all sizzle, no steak.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Congrats on the promotion Bryan. :)

And I'm going to second Bladerunner. Great film.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"