I could use a little help...

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I could use a little help...

Post by Reliant121 »

well i've been ignoring drawing for a while, because I want to expand on the Ariel database's entries on ground combat vehicles. I have two problems.

One: I have no idea how to draw tank Tracks

and two: i have no idea what would be classed as what, whether it'd be a light or medium tank, an IFV or an APC etc. etc.

Any ideas?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: I could use a little help...

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:One: I have no idea how to draw tank Tracks
Simplistically you're looking for a set of wheels surrounded by the track itself, which should be very thin relative to the vehicle in a profile view, but relatively wide from end-on (about a sixth of the vehicle's total width). The length of individual links should be about half to a third their width.

In more detail, whether you have the wheels taking up the entire height of the track (eg T-55), or just using them as guides (eg M-60) is up to you.
two: i have no idea what would be classed as what, whether it'd be a light or medium tank, an IFV or an APC etc. etc.
Modern Main Battle Tanks weigh around 60-70 tons, with a main gun of 120 - 125mm, and capable of up to about 50mph on roads (they're considerably slower off-road). Their main tasks are destroying other tanks, and blowing holes in buildings.

Light tanks tend to be around 8 tons, with a 25 - 30mm main gun, and capable of similar speeds to MBTs. They're used for reconnaissance.

APCs and IFVs have effectively the same role - transporting and protecting infantry until they're in a position to assault the enemy. The main difference is that IFVs have a gun (often the same as used by light tanks) to provide support to their infantry section as it attacks.

Some modern light tanks, APCs, and IFVs are wheeled, although in the latter case they're rarer. Modern wheels and suspension systems are almost as effective as tracks for getting across rough terrain, they're far less maintainence-intensive, and they're faster. For the worst terrain and the heaviest vehicles, however, you still need tracks.

In addition to these vehicles you'll need a few others: tube artillery (both SP and towed, modern guns tend to be 155 - 203mm), rocket artillery, anti-aircraft vehicles (both gun (25 - 40mm currently) and SAM), engineer vehicles, recovery vehicles, C3 vehicles, field ambulances and, of course, supply wagons.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thanks Seafort, new i could count on you :D

I had a go....it looked a little tall to be honest, and i dont think it was fantastic, but i shall continue to persevere :D
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Being "a little tall" isn't necessarily a disqualifier - being too tall was one of the knocks against the US Bradley IFV when it debuted.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mikey wrote:Being "a little tall" isn't necessarily a disqualifier - being too tall was one of the knocks against the US Bradley IFV when it debuted.
It looks somewhat like a Bradley actually.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Being tall isn't too much of a problem, but remember that you want to present the smallest target possible for your enemies.

Also, remember to give vehicles sloping armour. It makes them tougher.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Here we go, any recommendations?

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Actually, unless the height of the tracks is completely outlandish, that doesn't look like an overly tall target profile at all. The turret seems awfully flat, but could work depending on your internal arrangement.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I saw an experimental tank design a year or two ago that had the crew in the chassis, and an unmanned turret. It allowed the turret to be much flatter, and the overall height of the tank to be very significantly reduced. This reminds me of that design.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I saw an experimental tank design a year or two ago that had the crew in the chassis, and an unmanned turret. It allowed the turret to be much flatter, and the overall height of the tank to be very significantly reduced. This reminds me of that design.
In order for that tank of Reliant121's to have a crew, the turret would need to be remoted. Or have a midget crew and an autoloader....
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I hadnt actually thought of that. Because i am a clot. God i hate having to scale things. I'll certainly have to redo that.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Well, i suppose technology could allow the turret to be controlled from within or below. And i'd imagine a low crew number, maximum of 3. Would the body have the size to accommodate that?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Absolutely. I haven't been in the military like some of our friends here, but IIRC modern MBT's with crews of four or more have 2 - 3 guys in that section anyway. Consider the miniaturization of tech in your universe, and I don't see an issue at all.

Midget tankers has much more comedic possibility, of course.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

A special military experiment into Genetic manipulation to make tank drivers 2 foot tall? :P
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Maybe they genetically engineered themselves, through sheer force of determination. :wink:
as Bull offed Custer