Mafia Round 2 Discussion

Grundig
Commander
Commander

Mafia Round 2 Discussion

Post by Grundig »

If you're interested in joining in this next round, let us know here. Let's also get some ideas going about what we want to do with the next game. I think we should add another role. I'll post some of the options used in other Mafia games soon.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Mafia Round 2 Discussion

Post by stitch626 »

I'm interested.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

:wave:
Me too!
How about on a planet rather than a ship?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Why, so we linch them instead of space them? :x
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yes then we can become even more barbaric! What a brilliant idea!
I second it.
The world ended

Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

An optional rule:

Lives - this variant requires the Narrator to keep track of the players' lives on a piece of paper, because every player has two or more lives. This extends the game when there are too few players for the standard rules. Kills (in the night & day phases) reduce these lives, until a player reaches zero lives and is eliminated. Mafia 'kills' which reduce lives are usually not announced to the innocents.

A few optional roles, from wikipedia:

Doctor - Allied with the Innocents, the "Doctor"-type role defends others at night. Typically, they will "awaken" at night after the "Mafia" have "gone back to sleep" and point at one person to protect; that person will survive any night-time attack.Sometimes they are allowed to protect themselves, sometimes only once.

Power roles - "Mayor", "Judge", "Sheriff", "President", etc.
This role is taken in addition to the assigned role, and it endows the player with additional, overt, powers (particularly during the daytime). Empowerment can be random, but is usually made by vote. For instance, the "Mayor" or "Sheriff" can be elected each morning, and gain two lynching votes, or a Judge could moderate discussion in parliamentary fashion (to the advantage of their "team"). The elected "President" has the sole lynching vote.

Handicapped roles - "Murr", "Village Drunk", etc.
This role is, much as the power roles, taken in addition to the assigned role. However, it has the opposite effect, giving the bearer a handicap, like speaking only gibberish in the case of the Village Drunk, etc. This person could be good or evil.

Just a few ideas. We'll definitely have a doctor in the game. And probably a helper role for the mafia, if not another mafioso. It depends on how many people we have.
John Cage
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I like the idea of a doctor, I think voting for a president could mess things up to much.

Grundig I could have a go at being mod if you would like to join in, I think I got the handle of things.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Fine with me. It seems like you got the hang of what works and what doesn't. I'd suggest reading the wikipedia entry, and checking out some of rules on the sites where ppl play.

Honestly, without the Trekkyness, which seems to complicate things quite a bit, the game in its original form is a blast. I suggest everyone try it out sometime. IRL I mean.
John Cage
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I definetly will.
Even with the trekkyness it's fine, we just aren't used to this yet, thats all. I think after a while we should get a good hold on things
The world ended

Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Yeah.

I like the "village drunk" idea, but since this is on a forum and the only thing we can do is talk, to play as an unintelligable person would make you pretty much useless.

I agree that the 'mayor' role would screw things up too much.
John Cage
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

The village drunk would be great!
Remember, we can have actions in the :: thingys, so it would be like
:: Stumbling toward teaos with a beer in one hand and a cane in the other states::
"blah blah blah"
So it would be able to work but whoever we would have to make it a habit to say what we were doing, where we were going and so on and so forth.
The world ended

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But that person also loses a vote and how would we decide who gets it. It would be amusing in RL but here it would be to hard to do well.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

True, but still, I think we should have people mention what they are doing with the :: thing.
I find that that makes it a lot easier to understand how things progress, especially if we have alot of participants, and i also like the lives thing, makes it last a lot longer, also makes it a lot harder to tell who did what.
I'm going to introduce this game to some of my friends at the lunch table at school since I'm going back on Tuesday :( . I think we will have lots of fun with it. Thanks Grundig for introducing it to me. :DITL:
The world ended

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont like the lives idea, at least not now. We have at leat 2 new players who said they want in, that will make it better next time. And if everyone isnt so keen on throwing innocent people out the airlock it will also last longer...

Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I agree. The only other role I think might work would be an evil townsperson or a silencer. An evil townsperson would not be a part of the mafia per se, but would only win if the mafia wins - maybe the mafia don't know who he is and he doesn't know who they are. So they would try to steer the town's votes in the mafia's favor. The silencer was described above; that one's a little iffy.

Teaos, if you're interested in moderating the next game, I'll leave all of this up to you.

I had lots of fun with the actions/narrations. I think everyone should feel free to use them. They really add to the feel of the game - they just can't be game-changing actions like Grundig accesses sensors, thus figuring out who the Founder is or Teaos uses his martial arts to avoid the Founder's attack. If the founder wants you dead, you be dead. Let's choose either :: or blue text (which I think is much nicer). Or some other color, I dunno.
John Cage