What did we like

Enterprise
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

What did we like

Post by Mark »

OK, let's face it. Enterprise was a let down to 99% of us who coin ourselves "Trekkies", or "Trekkers" as I prefer. But, at times, it had some charm. Even though I knew wouldn't get destroyed in season 3, I still tuned in every week to watch the LONGEST STORYLINE I've ever seen unfold, as stupid as it was at times, nevertheless. We always share what we hated about the show, but I'd like to hear what we actually LIKED about it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What did we like

Post by Mikey »

Here's one thing I liked about it - the best MU episode since the original TOS: "Mirror, Mirror."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I liked that we got to see more Andorians.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I liked that it was sci-fi that I could watch, given that I don't have cable, and at the time, didn't have much in the way of internet connection and hard drive space.

Oh, and Scott Bakula and John Billingsley were great. It's too bad great acting can't save poor scriptwriting.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I liked a lot of it. I loved the design, the uniforms, most of the crew, the tensions between the aliens, the villianous vulcans, some of the time warping plots, the women, the humor, the new aliens, the limitations, the visiting of old aliens, the sweeping storylines, the technology, the art design, the cinematics, the pilot, Risa, that snow world, Klingon culture, Klingon foreheads, and the no 20th century expert to talk about old cars.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I still tuned in every week to watch the LONGEST STORYLINE I've ever seen unfold,
I believe that honour goes to the Dominion war.

What I liked... Hoshi was hot.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Mirror Universe episodes were good.

And that's pretty much it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I liked seeing the old TOS aliens (Andorians, Tellarites, Tholians, etc). I also liked the nacelles on Enterprise, they fit the timeframe IMO. And the original torpedos (the spatial ones). And the shuttlepods (they weren't warp capable, so the writers didn't get that unreasonable).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I seem to be one of the very few who didn't have so big a problem with ENT. Sure, it wasn't in the same class as TNG and DS9 but it did have it's redeeming features that have been more than adequately listed in this thread already. I'm thankful for four more series of Trek than we'd otherwise have had, arguably the hottest Trek babe so far in Jolene Blalock (yeah, like you wouldn't like to get your hands on that catsuit haha :)) and a try at explaining how it all came about after Zef's first warp flight.
Bottom line? I'd rather have had it than not at all :)
Last edited by thelordharry on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

MU was greatness. Plus the women... :twisted:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

My favorite was how they pushed the limit with Trek nudity. T'Pol butt crack was mighty high up there on the "shwing" list I must say. Of course it was always her in various stages of undress. Would LOVE to have seen some comparable shots of Hoshi.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:...Would LOVE to have seen some comparable shots of Hoshi.
I'll second that.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Things I liked in Enterprise...

I liked the visuals of the title sequence, though not the music.

I liked how they depicted the Boomers as a subculture whose time was at an end, and who saw it coming and didn't like it.

I liked how they used shuttles to get around so often, not trusting the transporter unless they needed to. I would have preferred no transporter at all, but the crew's "not unless we have to" approach to it was good.

I liked how they showed the torpedoes as actual physical missiles that you could see in flight, rather than glowing balls.

I liked how they showed the ship developing in capability over time; weapons virtually useless in the pilot episode supplanted by the three phase cannon, then more phase cannon later, photonic torpedoes. I'd have preferred lasers and nukes, but I did like that they showed increasing capability.

In the same vein I liked how the "warp five engine" didn't usually get to warp five for the first couple of years, but the speed gradually kept up later. Again, just as you would expect. And I liked how Columbia had differences from Enterprise.

I liked learning more about the Andorians

I liked the Xindi arc, on the whole. I most especially liked the moral compromises it forced on Archer.

I liked how when Enterprise was damaged in the Xindi arc, they actually spent weeks and weeks showing the ship with all sorts of visible hull damage rather than just having it be okay next episode. And I loved, loved, LOVED how they showed people inside the ship fixing major structural damage with hammers and welding torches, rather than just waving glowing things over everything.

I liked how Manny Coto dealt with the show in season 4. If they had made him show runner from day one, Enterprise would probably have been a very different show and would probably have done a full run.

I most especially liked the Mirror universe episodes. Just so very much to love about that little arc, it ranks up with any other episodes of Trek you care to name in quality.

I liked how Humans started gaining a reputation as fair dealing impartial types that helped other races work together. You could start to see how they became big players in the Federation.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
acstull
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by acstull »

I second the reason of Teaos - Hoshi was very hot. Plus, T'pol in the mirror universe was not too bad either.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Things I liked in Enterprise...

I liked the visuals of the title sequence, though not the music.

I liked how they depicted the Boomers as a subculture whose time was at an end, and who saw it coming and didn't like it.

I liked how they used shuttles to get around so often, not trusting the transporter unless they needed to. I would have preferred no transporter at all, but the crew's "not unless we have to" approach to it was good.

I liked how they showed the torpedoes as actual physical missiles that you could see in flight, rather than glowing balls.

I liked how they showed the ship developing in capability over time; weapons virtually useless in the pilot episode supplanted by the three phase cannon, then more phase cannon later, photonic torpedoes. I'd have preferred lasers and nukes, but I did like that they showed increasing capability.

In the same vein I liked how the "warp five engine" didn't usually get to warp five for the first couple of years, but the speed gradually kept up later. Again, just as you would expect. And I liked how Columbia had differences from Enterprise.

I liked learning more about the Andorians

I liked the Xindi arc, on the whole. I most especially liked the moral compromises it forced on Archer.

I liked how when Enterprise was damaged in the Xindi arc, they actually spent weeks and weeks showing the ship with all sorts of visible hull damage rather than just having it be okay next episode. And I loved, loved, LOVED how they showed people inside the ship fixing major structural damage with hammers and welding torches, rather than just waving glowing things over everything.

I liked how Manny Coto dealt with the show in season 4. If they had made him show runner from day one, Enterprise would probably have been a very different show and would probably have done a full run.

I most especially liked the Mirror universe episodes. Just so very much to love about that little arc, it ranks up with any other episodes of Trek you care to name in quality.

I liked how Humans started gaining a reputation as fair dealing impartial types that helped other races work together. You could start to see how they became big players in the Federation.
Wow Graham, you articulated several of my thoughts as well. One thing I would like to throw in, and it's a bit grusome, was a couple of times when we saw hull breaches, you could actually see some luckless crew people getting sucked out into the vacuum of space. Morbid, but it was a nicely added detail.