If you were Captain what would you do?

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

If you were Captain what would you do?

Post by Teaos »

Ok most everyone here thinks Janeway is stupid and put Voyager at risk far too often.

Well what would you do if you were her?

"Not get stuck in the bloody Delta Quadrant" Rochey and Seafort yell out :D

Ok assume you are stuck in the Delta quadrant in the same position Janeway was after Caretaker. There was no way of getting home so there is no stupid call against your name already.

Do you make a coarse straight for home with out stopping off unless needing supplies?

Do you do a Janeway and make your way home while looking at interesting stuff as you go maybe coming across shortcuts and interesting species?

Do you settle down and make your self at home?

Do you do a Deepcrush and use your advanced tech to carve yourself out an empire?

Basically what would you do in her position after being stuck 70k light years from home?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Start researching Warp 10 as soon as possible. When we do achieve it, and we run into the "we're all turning into salamanders" problem, I come up with the incredibly obvious sollution of pointing the ship at Earth, turning the engines on, and leaving a message that will transmit when we get back to Earth saying "we're all salamanders, the cure's in the glove compartment".

Problem solved.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I'd park the ship and start a colony, some distance away from a hostile species like the Kazon.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I can't say I would have done the big picture much differently. Most of the decisions she made that we attack were the least of many evils in tough scenarios. Perhaps a little less "hello" to everyone we passed, unless we needed to trade, but not a lot less as this would decrease the chance of finding shortcuts.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

One of the big rules would be that if a bunch of the locals have a big "sod off" sign at their border, this means that you go round. It does not mean that you barge through anyway. Also, avoid trying to sneak onto planets with unsavoury governments without proper backup. If you must do so, have a shuttle or three hiding behind a moon ready to pull you out if things go pear-shaped.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

What if going around adds 2, 5, 10 years?
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

"Risk is our business, that's what this starship is all about. That's why we're aboard her." - Kirk to crew.
TOS : Return to Tomorrow
I'd actually do a fair bit of investigating, however probably less of it when I suspected the results wouldn't have any chance of helping us out. And more going around species that want you to go around.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Duskofdead wrote:What if going around adds 2, 5, 10 years?
Then you get home 2, 5, or 10 years later. Which is preferable to being blasted into a thousand pieces by bolshy locals who don't want visitors.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Duskofdead wrote:I can't say I would have done the big picture much differently. Most of the decisions she made that we attack were the least of many evils in tough scenarios. Perhaps a little less "hello" to everyone we passed, unless we needed to trade, but not a lot less as this would decrease the chance of finding shortcuts.
I agree. A lot of her mistakes we know with hindsight but overall she made the correct decisions. She got home didn't she?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

And if she didnt stop everywhere the trip would have taken 70 years not 7.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Go straight, go fast and just plain go. Don't stop unless the tank's low and you need munchies.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Go straight, go fast and just plain go. Don't stop unless the tank's low and you need munchies.
Are there any 7-11's in the Delta Quadrant? :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Go straight, go fast and just plain go. Don't stop unless the tank's low and you need munchies.
And if there are, are they run by Ferengi? Or Pakled?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
And if there are, are they run by Ferengi? Or Pakled?
We sell things. Things to make us money. We like slurpees. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

I would first disable Neexlix's ship and start beaming deuterium and antimatter from his ship for extra supplies. I would also beam Neelix into space and take his as my own. I would then go searching for the Ocampa, try to find crewman. With the Maquis, I'd welcome them in with open arms and tell them that we need each other to survive. After doing all that, I use the Caretaker's Array to transport my ship back to the Alpha Quadrant.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.