The Golden Compass

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Golden Compass

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I just finished watching this, and I thought it was awesome.

US audiences apparently didn't care for it because Christian groups claimed it was anti-religious (I have no idea what their problem was after watching it), and that makes me a bit uneasy about the overall direction of the USA.

Box Office Gross

I think the disparity in domestic (US) and overseas figures speaks for itself...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What's so anti-religious about it? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:What's so anti-religious about it? :?
I haven't seen it but they claim it promotes an athiest message (as if athiests are anywhere unified enough to have a message), what it really encourages is for kids to think for themselves.

Can't have that! They might turn from the church! Then the priest will have to trade in his Mercedes for a Volkswagen.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh the humanity. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

The book it was based on was more anti-christian. The anti-christian themes were toned down for the movie.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:The book it was based on was more anti-christian. The anti-christian themes were toned down for the movie.
Anti-xtian in what sense? Fuck'em anyways, they've had it easy for far too long.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The books are great. Yeah they toned down the spiritual stuff in it.

Its sad that people care enough to boycot this movie.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They really would've had to amp up the anti-christian themes for me to even notice. I didn't see what they were talking about at all, except maybe they thought the Magisterium represented the church (I'd say they represent oppressive authority in general, personally). It made $370 million worldwide on a budget of $180 mil, so I'd say it was still a success. I sure hope they make more of them.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

There should be another couple to come - The Amber Spyglass and The Subtle Knife. Or whatever they get called, since they apparently felt it necessary to rename The Northern Lights
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, I certainly hope they get made; the first one was really well done.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I don't know to much about the details of them. Just that the movie was toned down, and compared to the last book the first is supposed to be toned down.

I think what really rankled people was that the author said the books were supposed to be some kind of atheist answer to Narnia.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Rochey wrote:What's so anti-religious about it? :?
I haven't seen it but they claim it promotes an athiest message (as if athiests are anywhere unified enough to have a message), what it really encourages is for kids to think for themselves.

Can't have that! They might turn from the church! Then the priest will have to trade in his Mercedes for a Volkswagen.
If there is one thing that organized religion fears... it is people thinking for themselves!
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...