Remakes that are better than the original

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Remakes that are better than the original

Post by Captain Seafort »

Based on a comment by stitch in the sequels thread. Are there any remakes that are superior to the original film?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The latest King Kong was, in my opinion, better than the original and subsiquent remakes.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Night of the Living Dead '90 was betterh than the 1968 Romero original.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Dawn of the Dead from 2004 was better than the original. The Blob (1988) also springs to mind, as does The Thing (1982).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Dawn of the Dead from 2004 was better than the original. The Blob (1988) also springs to mind, as does The Thing (1982).
I didn't like the Dawn remake because they were fast. Zombies should be slow :)

The Thing for sure.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Zombies should be slow
Like the Borg... :lol:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Jim wrote:I didn't like the Dawn remake because they were fast. Zombies should be slow :)
I've always thought their speed should be relative to how long they've been dead (the longer they've been dead, the more they should decay, and therefore become slower). Yes, I've already put too much thought into this... :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The Thing is the only one I can think of. In fact, it's the only one I can think of that doesn't suck amazingly long and hard compared to the original.

Oh, wait. The Russell Crowe/Christian Bale 3:10 to Yuma didn't suck, but it wasn't better than the original.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Can you freaking believe they're remaking Creepshow? I'm not even sure if Stephen King and George Romero are involved...

Depressing.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The three worst offenders IMHO were Alfie, The Italian Job, and Flight of the Phoenix. Two of them tried to replace Sir Michael Caine, and the last tried to replace Jimmy Stewart with Dennis friggin' Quaid!
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thought The Italian Job remake was rather bland, overall. Certainly not Ed Norton's best performance, or choice of role...

I never have seen the original, though, so it's hard for me to say whether it was total crap, though I'd say trying to top Michael Caine is idiotic, at best.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:The three worst offenders IMHO were Alfie, The Italian Job, and Flight of the Phoenix. Two of them tried to replace Sir Michael Caine, and the last tried to replace Jimmy Stewart with Dennis friggin' Quaid!
They remade The Italian Job? The first one couldn't have been that good if I didn't know about it. The second one has a sequal in the works. Did the first one have a sequal?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wow. Sometimes the conclusions to which you jump just boggle the mind. You never of heard of the real The Italian Job because you're too young. It was FAR superior than the newer one, and I say that as a man who thinks that Charlize Theron is among the yummiest things ever created.

That is, unless you appreciate Minis racing through sewers more than terrific performances.

PS - how does that fact that you haven't exposed yourself to a great piece of cinema relate to its independent quality?
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I can see this turning into a "Remakes that weren't as good as the originals thread".

Just incase it does, I want to put "The Manchurian Candidate" forward as an inferior remake. The original is my favourite all time film, and John Frankenheimer was probably one of my favourite directors.

As for superior remakes, the only one that springs to mind is Quatermass and the Pit.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:I can see this turning into a "Remakes that weren't as good as the originals thread".
Probably because that category is so much more full. :wink:
Just incase it does, I want to put "The Manchurian Candidate" forward as an inferior remake. The original is my favourite all time film, and John Frankenheimer was probably one of my favourite directors.
Very true. An excellent film that had a remake that couldn't even compare.
as Bull offed Custer