Sony Pictures, Apollo Offer to Buy Paramount Global for $26 Billion in Cash

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Sony Pictures, Apollo Offer to Buy Paramount Global for $26 Billion in Cash

Post by Nutso »

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/sony- ... 235981220/
In the latest twist in Paramount Global’s M&A saga, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Apollo Global Management have made a bid to take Paramount private with an all-cash buyout offer of $26 billion.

Sony and private-equity giant Apollo submitted a letter with the non-binding offer Wednesday to Paramount Global, as first reported by the Wall Street Journal. The bid, which would include the assumption of debt and could be negotiated, would be a premium over the company’s current $22 billion enterprise value.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Sony Pictures, Apollo Offer to Buy Paramount Global for $26 Billion in Cash

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Slowly but surely, Buy and Large will be real.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

When they say "assumption of debt", do they mean that Sony and Apollo take out a loan to buy Paramount, the two of them purchase Paramount, then they turn over repaying the debt to Paramount? So Sony and Apollo get a source of cash from Paramount's sales, while Paramount is stuck paying off the loan?
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Coalition wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:11 pm When they say "assumption of debt", do they mean that Sony and Apollo take out a loan to buy Paramount, the two of them purchase Paramount, then they turn over repaying the debt to Paramount? So Sony and Apollo get a source of cash from Paramount's sales, while Paramount is stuck paying off the loan?
I assumed, and after reading your post I did some looking into it, it seems to be that Paramount Global's debts will be taken on by Sony/Apollo, and thus they would now be liable to pay them off if the deal is made.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:53 pm
Coalition wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:11 pm When they say "assumption of debt", do they mean that Sony and Apollo take out a loan to buy Paramount, the two of them purchase Paramount, then they turn over repaying the debt to Paramount? So Sony and Apollo get a source of cash from Paramount's sales, while Paramount is stuck paying off the loan?
I assumed, and after reading your post I did some looking into it, it seems to be that Paramount Global's debts will be taken on by Sony/Apollo, and thus they would now be liable to pay them off if the deal is made.
Better than how Red Lobster's purchasers did. They borrowed money, bought Red Lobster as a whole, and ordered Red Lobster to sell off the property the restaurants were on to a 'separate' entity and be leased back. This sale of properties gave a profit to Red Lobster's owners, which was a nice dividend. The company owning the property then increased the lease rates, which also gave a nice dividend to that set of owners. Red Lobster restaurants were now stuck with a higher monthly cost due to the lease payments.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)