Why did Tucker have a southern accent?

Enterprise
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Why did Tucker have a southern accent?

Post by Mikey »

Hey - that's a terrible stereotype. I did more than my fair share ofpsychedelics, and I still like blowing sh*t up.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Then your not a hippie, hippies are the all-for-peace... people
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

*Deep inhaling* Yeah, maaaaannn...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tyyr wrote:
Monroe wrote:He was reasonably bright. Good character. Just in the last few episodes they screwed him over.
No he wasn't. He's a f***ing idiot. Remember the pilot? The point where they're talking about flying the Suliban ship over to get Klang and Mayweather I think it was said they have almost no idea how it works or how to control it? Then he says, and I'm trying to quote but I'm doing this from memory, "Forward, reverse, left, right, what more do you need to know?" then the dumbass hick looks around, not for a laugh, but for the rest of them to agree with him?

Let me reiterate. The chief engineer of humanity's most advanced starship, the only one in existence, a man who should probably be in the top hundredth of a percentile of intelligence, a man who should be well used to the issues with piloting space vessels, including incredibly complex ones like the one he's f***ing on, thinks that having control over the ships acceleration and ability to turn in two dimensions not just three was sufficient to go on a highly dangerous rescue mission.
There's a lot wrong in that statement. Really if you're flying a space ship the least you need to know is how to fly. Obviously he wasn't talking exact directions when he said that but rather another way to say 'what more do you need to know besides directions?'

Also the producers in one of the several commentaries I heard wanted to make it so that not every ship was instant knowledge on how to fly it. That's something fake that all the other Treks do but ENT tried to avoid.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

And Reed wasn't the only competent person on the Enterprise. Don't forget the MACRO Major Hayes(? been awhile since I saw it). The actor is pretty good, saw him in 24 and Stargate recently.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Monroe wrote:There's a lot wrong in that statement. Really if you're flying a space ship the least you need to know is how to fly. Obviously he wasn't talking exact directions when he said that but rather another way to say 'what more do you need to know besides directions?'
Uh, quite a lot, actualy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I'd say a whole hell of a lot, in fact.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Monroe wrote:There's a lot wrong in that statement. Really if you're flying a space ship the least you need to know is how to fly. Obviously he wasn't talking exact directions when he said that but rather another way to say 'what more do you need to know besides directions?'
An incredible amount. Even assuming the stupid hick meant just directions he's still millions of miles away from being able to pilot the thing. Take a American who's only ever flown a Cessna and drop his ass in the cockpit of a MiG-29, see how far he gets even if he knows what to do with the throttle and stick. Tucker's a dumbass, accept it.
Also the producers in one of the several commentaries I heard wanted to make it so that not every ship was instant knowledge on how to fly it. That's something fake that all the other Treks do but ENT tried to avoid.
And yet they still climbed into the ship far more advanced than there's and away they went.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If it was me, I would have set up the cast like this.

First, ALL HUMAN OFFICERS with the Aliens as exchange officers.

Archer - make him tougher. They say Kirk blazed trails, so should Archer have been any different?

T'Pol - Exchange officer from the High Command....Science Officer ONLY

Tripp - Ships First Officer.....his hick humor used to off set Archer.

Reed - Give him another dimesion. He just didn't seem very human or real to me. Was tough to relate too.

Hoshi - She was ok, but I would have downplayed the development of the UT, and made her job ALOT harder.

Phlox - He was actually ok IMO

Maywether - Hotshot rocketjock. Arrogant SOB ala Maverick in Top Gun. He can fly ANYTHING and he knows it. Kind of like what they seemed to originally want to do with Paris, but actually DO it. One of the few pilots in Starfleet who can handle the Enterprise without the computer.

NEW CHIEF ENGINEER - Some Lewis and Gilbert style nerd, talking in technospeak so garbeled they needed somebody to translate for them. Hell, he's one of a handfull of people in Starfleet who understand how this latest mystery of an engine was designed

At least, that's my take
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tyyr wrote: An incredible amount. Even assuming the stupid hick meant just directions he's still millions of miles away from being able to pilot the thing. Take a American who's only ever flown a Cessna and drop his ass in the cockpit of a MiG-29, see how far he gets even if he knows what to do with the throttle and stick. Tucker's a dumbass, accept it.

And yet they still climbed into the ship far more advanced than there's and away they went.
Its a desperation thing as I recall they were in a hurry in the episode. And when you're in a desperate situation basic maneuvers is really the basics. Yeah landing the craft would be nice but Tucker was in a hurry :P

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And really, how would a ship's engineer know that spaceships can operate in three dimensions? :P
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:And really, how would a ship's engineer know that spaceships can operate in three dimensions? :P

Well, Chef could have told him ahead of time I suppose :P
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I was thinking about how the producers wanted people to act stupid around new alien technology and it occurred to me that Stargate did the exact same thing. But notice how Stargate handled it compared to Trek. Yet another thing Stargate did well.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Monroe wrote:
Tyyr wrote: An incredible amount. Even assuming the stupid hick meant just directions he's still millions of miles away from being able to pilot the thing. Take a American who's only ever flown a Cessna and drop his ass in the cockpit of a MiG-29, see how far he gets even if he knows what to do with the throttle and stick. Tucker's a dumbass, accept it.

Its a desperation thing as I recall they were in a hurry in the episode. And when you're in a desperate situation basic maneuvers is really the basics. Yeah landing the craft would be nice but Tucker was in a hurry :P
Desperate or not you need to know more than where the throttle and where the stick is to get off the ground.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tyyr wrote: Desperate or not you need to know more than where the throttle and where the stick is to get off the ground.
Wouldn't that fall under the directions category?

-Remain Star Trek-