Tech level of the Vulcans/Romulans

Enterprise
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

How much cloaking did the BoT cloaking device provide? How much 'coverage' did it afford? If it couldn't do a full cloak, then another sign of inefficient power plants within.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It was supposed to be perfect. But it was up against the most advanced ship in the quadrant who could only just sense it.

Conidering even latter cloaks could be detected I doubt it had much to do with power.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:How much cloaking did the BoT cloaking device provide?
It made it invisible and probably concealed most of it's emissions. The Enterprise used motion sensors (whatever those are) to get a general location.
How much 'coverage' did it afford? If it couldn't do a full cloak, then another sign of inefficient power plants within.
It was new so while it was not untested it was untested in combat, and the Romulans apparently didn't have much on Starfleets capabilites.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:How much cloaking did the BoT cloaking device provide? How much 'coverage' did it afford? If it couldn't do a full cloak, then another sign of inefficient power plants within.
Another possibility is that its reactor was too powerful for its cloak (unsurprising given that it was a very early model). The E-nil could then have detected it in the same way the Jem'Hadar detected the Defiant in "The Search".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Very possible - or, even the use of plasma-based weaponry (and supposedly, other systems) might have led to asignature "bleeding thorugh" the cloak.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

True - TOS-era cloaks seem to have been vulnerable to plasma leakage, as Chang's BoP also demonstrated that flaw
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Most ships can make themselves rather stealthy but just shutting down all systems. The BoP cloak may very well just be a visual one with a few added features to cut down on sensor detection.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

They'd still have to mask EM emissions as well, otherwise it'd stand out like a sore thumb on infrared.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:They'd still have to mask EM emissions as well, otherwise it'd stand out like a sore thumb on infrared.
That's probably the reason for the large exhaust, disperse the heat plume as much as they can.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:They'd still have to mask EM emissions as well, otherwise it'd stand out like a sore thumb on infrared.
That's probably the reason for the large exhaust, disperse the heat plume as much as they can.
That's very probable - not much different from IR baffles on RL aircraft. Although I suspect that the cloak itself was designed to bend EM radiation in a broad band, not just visible light.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
That's very probable - not much different from IR baffles on RL aircraft. Although I suspect that the cloak itself was designed to bend EM radiation in a broad band, not just visible light.
If it is there's no harm in having a back-up or something to minimise the energy spent. An IR baffle isn't an active system after all.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm not disagreeing with that. One of the precious few times we'd see something of that nature. :roll:
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The Enterprise used motion sensors (whatever those are) to get a general location.
Well, space is not a vacuum, and has dust everywhere.
Maybe the sensers were picking up the "particle wake" (new term :) ) of the ship (similar to the wake of a ship in water).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I doubt there would be enought dust in space to pick up a starship moving around.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:I doubt there would be enought dust in space to pick up a starship moving around.
You'd think they would be able to pick up the nav deflector doing it though.