musings on the most famous of grudges

The Next Generation
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The aging and downsizing of the armed forces in starfleet has caused a large drop in concern for combat preperation.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Oh yeah, I was actually going to reply to the latest topic in this thread...

I agree with all the points made about why there would be a larger proportion of humans in Starfleet than in the Federation in general. However, I still don't think that accounts for the degree of disparity. What we see on starships is probably 70% - 80% human crews!
It could also be because makeup costs a lot of money...
True, but like so many other things in 'Trek an in-universe explanation should have been provided when production requirements caused something not to make sense.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

On the plus side no one seems to have a decent land army. So while it may be stupid at least everyone is stupid. It levels the playing field.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Maybe not a standing army as such, but I would say the Klingons have a pretty decent force of soldiers/"marines" on hand; "AR-558" tactics (or lack thereof) notwithstanding, the Dominion are able to field some pretty tough combatants too (although all you really have to do is hide until the White runs out.)

And, while I don't recall having seen them in real tactical action, according to recollections of Setlik III, etc., the Cardassians seem to be more formidable opponents in country than they do in space.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe not a standing army as such, but I would say the Klingons have a pretty decent force of soldiers/"marines" on hand; "AR-558" tactics (or lack thereof) notwithstanding, the Dominion are able to field some pretty tough combatants too (although all you really have to do is hide until the White runs out.)
Er, Klingon tactics seem to revolve around 'scream loudly at oponent and charge with stupid-looking sword.'
Dominion tactics seem to revolve around 'scream loudly at oponent and charge with guns.'
Sun Tzu, these guys are not...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jem'Hadar seem to get a bad press, mainly because of their stupidity at AR-558. They captured the Defiant several times, only to either be told to give it back by the Founders, or loose it through Alpha stupidity. Their boarding of DS9 in "Call to Arms" was competent, with one shoving the airlock open while others pushed through and swept the area, as was their entry into Ops, where they kept alert and their weapons stayed up, despite having already been welcomed and with no apparent resistance. They've also demonstrated an awareness of camouflage and concealment (the shrouds) and used mortars in "The Ship". They're definitely some of the more competent Trek ground forces (which, admittedly, isn't saying much).

You also malign the the Klingons - they fire half a dozen shots then charge with stupid-looking swords. :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, a good point Seafort. I guess I was just applying the idiocy to all situations. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I didn't say that they were the strategic equals of Erwin Rommel. I just said, and maintain, that they have prowess at interpersonal combat.

Apparently, with the decline of the usage of ground-pounders, there has been an equivalent decline in strategic intelligence. Those "screaming loudly" tactics don't make much sense, but still appear superior to Starfleet infantry tactics - which consist of "hole up for a while, then wander out into the enemy's line of fire."
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I thought Starfleet tactics consisted of 'follow captain around for a while until all the mobile shields (aka: redshirts) have been used up. Pull miracle out of ass to save day.'
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Then when you look at Enterprise the ground forces had pretty good tactics. It was like having a special ops team on the Enterprise. Seems Trek loses that ability the more advance they get.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Indeed, ground combat seems to die out as time goes along but maybe the dominion war will change that.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Seems unlikely, the Jem'hadar's main strength was that they were marginally more competant than the Federation and its allie.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Jem Hadars strongest point is their ability to self sacrifice. They disregard for their own live makes them formidable.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True. But human wave tactics were rendered useless with the inevntion of the machine gun. Lucky for the Jem'hadar, the Feds apear to have lost such weapons.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I happen to think the bajorans have some good grounds troops, in fact i think that they only have ground troops.