Sol post Dominion War.

Deep Space Nine
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Sol post Dominion War.

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:True, better to avoid Starbases. I'd bet good money that both the Klingons and Dominion wish they could have just avoided DS9.
I was talking about the Sol system, not Bajor. Sometimes you have take down a fort to get where you want to go.

I always figured that if the Dominion just allowed the Federation to mine the wormhole, and just concentrate on building the ships in the Alpha Quadrant, the war could have started later with a stronger Dominion fleet. unless there was some off screen evidence that the Dominion needed those convoys other than reinforcing the fleet.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The UFP/KDF fleet was already in place and moving in for the attack. The mining of the wormhole was just the start of everything. If the Dominion held the wormhole they would have had 2,000 more ships for the war. The allies would have been crushed or at least would have spent then next few years on the defensive.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have to rewatch that episode. I thought it was the Dominion threatning to do something about the mining of the wormhole for the allies to do something.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Just skimmed through the episode :-

The Dominion was bringing convoy after convoy in. The Federation was worried that the Dominion and Cardasisia would soon have so many ships they could never be stopped. After the Romulans signed a non agression pact was decided that they should mine the wormhole before the Dominion gained too big a hold in the Alpha Quadrant, and if it started a war so be it.

Quick thought - with the wormhole mined, how important was DS9?

Sisko seemed to think it was important enough to retake even before they learned that the minefield was about to be bought down - good thing too, as it meant they'd at least started to prepare a fleet to retake the station. I gather they were infact planning on taking it not long after they abandoned it, but were repelled. And didn't Odo mess up the efforts to sabotage the Dominion bringing down of the minefield, which inturn forced Sisko to retake the station earlier with a weakened fleet? How many people died because of that?

Or did the destruction of both the Dominion fleets in the Alpha Quadrant and the fleet coming through the wormhole mean things worked out better in the end for the Federation.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Were they acually bringing that many ships through, its been awhile but I seem to remember that the wormhole was opening and closing with out anything going through it as a redherring.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Were they acually bringing that many ships through, its been awhile but I seem to remember that the wormhole was opening and closing with out anything going through it as a redherring.
You're thing of Homefront/Paradise Lost, when one of Leyton's people used the GQ relay to make the wormhole do just that. In the lead-up to the war the Dominion were sending through big weekly convoys to reinforce their bridgehead, and that's what the minefield was established to put a stop to.

As for retaking DS9, would you gamble the entire Alpha Quadrant on the hope that the Dominion would never be able to bring down the minefield?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. A strategic defensive point is a strategic defensive point, regardless of whether there are other defensive structures in the same location.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

More is better.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

DS9 was important because it gave you a base to watch over the minefield. With the Dominion/Cardassians in control of the station/system, they could sit there and try to figure out how to bring it down at their leisure.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's one of a number of reasons, not least of which the fact that relying on a minefield - when an extant, potent manned position was available - is dumb.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Did the Federation make the right decision in abandoning DS9 so readily? Was it worth temporarily sacrificing the Station in order to take out the Dominion shipyards?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:Did the Federation make the right decision in abandoning DS9 so readily? Was it worth temporarily sacrificing the Station in order to take out the Dominion shipyards?
Absolutely. The wormhole, as important as it was, was only a single strategic point, and one that was deprived of it greatest value, at least temporarily, by the minefield. The destruction of the shipyard, on the other hand, deprived the Dominion of a vital asset, and weakened their long-term position in the quadrant.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

DS9 was a calculated loss. In one move they blocked the Dominion fleet from any GQ help, destroyed 50 Dominion warships, and destroyed a major shipyard at the same time as leaving DS9 mostly useless to the enemy.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, well worth losing the station for.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:DS9 was a calculated loss. In one move they blocked the Dominion fleet from any GQ help, destroyed 50 Dominion warships, and destroyed a major shipyard at the same time as leaving DS9 mostly useless to the enemy.
I agree. Though we never truly knew how big an impact that shipyard was in the ship production. I was assumed that it took out a lagre chunk of the Dominion war effort at least early on. For all we know, by destroying that shipyard, it may prevented the Allies from losing the war in the long run.

Besides the minefield was up and it would take time to bring back down. So all the Dominion got was a heavily armed station... and that's about it.