So... what did you like about Enterprise?

Enterprise
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Continuity murder, bad ship design, and more continuity murder? (we are big on continuity around here)
Yeah, that's pretty much what I see wrong with ENT. Oh, and don't forget the murder of continuity.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Jordanis wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Rochey wrote: I'll take your word on that. :P
Sure. *Sits back and watches Enterprise, enjoying it and honestly wondering what everyone else is seeing wrong with it*
Continuity murder, bad ship design, and more continuity murder? (we are big on continuity around here)
No ST series was perfect with continuity and ENT is not that bad. It treads on fanon, mostly.

Bad ship design? *Sigh* The NX is probably the most logical design for an early Starfleet ship. It's a saucer with nacelles stuck to the side.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We've already been over this. Several times.
The Akiraprise is not a logical step in the design chronology of Starfleet's ships. It's a 24th century ship turned upside-down, with all the curves and sleekness of a 24th century ship, which it should have none of. The sleekness and pylon-based nacelles are due to warp mechanics, to make that type of ship go faster at high speeds. But Starfleet shouldn't have known that, so it shouldn't have those curves and pylons. And then there's the fact that, if Starfleet did know about warp mechanics back then, they decided to toss them out the window during the TOS era, which just makes no sense at all.
It should look big, bulky, blocky, and crude. Like a more primitive version of TOS ships.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

The insides of the ship were very logical and followed the flow of ship design though. I really liked the cramped conditions onboard.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, the insides were pretty well done. Except for the bits of metal jutting out from the walls for no apparent reason.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The NX is probably the most logical design for an early Starfleet ship. It's a saucer with nacelles stuck to the side.
It's not a bad design on its own - it just doesn't make any sense for WHEN it is supposed to be.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:We've already been over this. Several times.
The Akiraprise is not a logical step in the design chronology of Starfleet's ships. It's a 24th century ship turned upside-down, with all the curves and sleekness of a 24th century ship, which it should have none of. The sleekness and pylon-based nacelles are due to warp mechanics, to make that type of ship go faster at high speeds. But Starfleet shouldn't have known that, so it shouldn't have those curves and pylons. And then there's the fact that, if Starfleet did know about warp mechanics back then, they decided to toss them out the window during the TOS era, which just makes no sense at all.
It should look big, bulky, blocky, and crude. Like a more primitive version of TOS ships.
You've been over it. I don't see it. I will never see it. It's the simplest design you could get and still have it be Starfleet!
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:Indeed, the insides were pretty well done. Except for the bits of metal jutting out from the walls for no apparent reason.
You mean the bars in the corridors? We saw the reason for them when Mayweather was on his family's freighter. They used to be necessary for bracing oneself for acceleration. It was probably a holdover from before they realized how good the new inertial dampeners would be on the NX-class.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:You've been over it. I don't see it. I will never see it. It's the simplest design you could get and still have it be Starfleet!
The problem we have with the NC-class is that it should be the starting point of what is otherwise a continuously-evolving chain of starship dsign philosophy. It ain't.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:You've been over it. I don't see it. I will never see it. It's the simplest design you could get and still have it be Starfleet!
The problem we have with the NC-class is that it should be the starting point of what is otherwise a continuously-evolving chain of starship dsign philosophy. It ain't.
But... the aft 'bits' grow, eventually becoming the secondary hull of the Connie. The SF ships get bigger as the years go on, but they keep the saucer and nacelles bits from the NX-class.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I've been discussing this idea since before the forum came online, via e-mail with GK, etc. Yes, I CAN theorize a succession from NX-class to more modern designs. The point is that the show shouldn't force me to - it should be apparent and common-sense.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:I've been discussing this idea since before the forum came online, via e-mail with GK, etc. Yes, I CAN theorize a succession from NX-class to more modern designs. The point is that the show shouldn't force me to - it should be apparent and common-sense.
It's apparent and logical. It's a saucer and nacelles. The struts grow into the secondary hull.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's apparent and logical. It's a saucer and nacelles. The struts grow into the secondary hull.
But the fact that technological advancement - materials technology, miniaturization, automation, etc. - advances with time SHOULD indicate a progression away from a secondary hull, rather than towards one.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:
But the fact that technological advancement - materials technology, miniaturization, automation, etc. - advances with time SHOULD indicate a progression away from a secondary hull, rather than towards one.
Wouldn't the warp core have to get bigger? And what about room for weapons, crew, sensors? Not to mention raw materials and replacement parts and stuff.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Bigger than the first ever warp 5 engine? I doubt it.
as Bull offed Custer