This is gonna piss a lot of people off...

The Original Series
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: This is gonna piss a lot of people off...

Post by Teaos »

Just when you thought it couldnt get any worse:
Memory alpha wrote:It has been confirmed that Romulans are the main antagonists in the film, led by Nero (the primary villain) and his second-in-command, Ayel. Their plot involves not only time travel but also the destruction of a planet using a type of "drilling rig," during which time they come into confrontation with Kirk and crew (which involves a fight between a sword-wielding Sulu and a Romulan). All Romulans in the film will be bald and will not bear the forehead ridges seen in the 24th century-era shows and Star Trek: Enterprise. [97] Actor Clifton Collins, Jr., who plays Ayel, confirmed that both he and Bana play Romulans in the movie, referring to their characters as "space pirates." [98]

It has also been revealed that the plot involves an elder Spock traveling into the past from a post-Star Trek Nemesis timeframe[99] utilizing a small vessel built specifically for time travel. In addition, George Samuel Kirk, Sr., (played by Chris Hemsworth) will be seen in the film as First Officer aboard the USS Kelvin, under the command of Captain Robau (Faran Tahir). The Kelvin is a Federation starship from a generation before the Enterprise and is a class of starship that has not yet been seen.
Link

Yes thats right, Romulans are now bald and have no forehead ridges.

A SWORD FIGHT! OMG UBER COOL! ... :roll:

A planet destorying drill.

And the Federation now does time travel enough to justify a purpose build craft for it.

Excuse me while I go throw up...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Their plot involves not only time travel but also the destruction of a planet using a type of "drilling rig,"
Yeah, because we've seen the AQ powers demonstrate that that type of technology is within their ability.
Oh wait, we haven't.

What's more, the idea of a planet destroying drill is f*cking dumb.
All Romulans in the film will be bald and will not bear the forehead ridges seen in the 24th century-era shows and Star Trek: Enterprise.
Wow, I guess that means that the exact same thing that happened to the Klingons happened to the Romulans too? :roll:
which involves a fight between a sword-wielding Sulu and a Romulan
I'd call that incredibly dumb if not for the fact that 99% of all Trek battles degenerate into hand-to-hand combat.
utilizing a small vessel built specifically for time travel.
Guess the Feds got bored of that whole Temporal Prime Directive?
The Kelvin is a Federation starship from a generation before the Enterprise and is a class of starship that has not yet been seen
Sounds interesting.

Well, there's a lot of stuff there that has the potential to make this film suck Nemesis-style. Maybe if they pull it off well it can still be good, but my hopes just took a bit of a hit.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Yes thats right, Romulans are now bald and have no forehead ridges.
*cough*

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Huh, could've sworn TOS era Romulans had ridges. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Huh, could've sworn TOS era Romulans had ridges. :?
Most of the TOS TV Rumlans wore helmets as a cost saving measure. So we never had to endure the bumpy forehead crap.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Bald guy, no forehead ridges, destroying a planet with a drill...

I guess this is Nero:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Wait, I thought that was Shinzon. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nah, the good Doctor had a far better thought-out plan than Shinzon.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Maybe if Shinzon had put frickin' laser beams on his space vampires' heads, he would've succeeded. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Only if they were ill-tempered space vampires.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Ugh. They've invoked the "Khan" inspiration again. And that went so well last time. :roll:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've just lost quite a bit of hope for this film.............I don't know what to say.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

All I'm going to say is that JJ Abrams is known for misdirection in marketing; this could be some BS cover-plot, though the pic of Nero is definately a bald, ridgeless, tattooed guy.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What would possibly be the point in a misdirecting marketing campaign that makes it less likely people will go see it?