Mothball Upgrades

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Mothball Upgrades

Post by KuvahMagh »

The Soveriegn carried Transport Inhibitors, a large number of them really to cover all that ground in Insurection and it is not even made for the role of Planetfall Support. You seem to be able to disrupt the transporters just by setting a tricorder. The Transporter is spotting with things like this and the only thing I would use them for would be supplies in a secured area or in emergencies, otherwise you might as well just use shuttles.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That's why I mentioned anything at all. Transporters are so easily and commonly put out of commission, that I wouldn't even consider them the first option for a true military operation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Abraxas
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Abraxas »

You'de think those "Transport Inhibitors" would be put on every federation ship? Whatever powercell they use is small, so when shields fail they oughta just turn a couple of those things on...

... but I'm going off topic by bashing Star Trek Tech.

I guess it's safer to have shuttles and such.
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Transporters are blocked by anything stronger than a stiff wind. Relying on them for taking over a planet is not a great idea.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

" Initiate transport!"

" I can't, sir! It's raining!"

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, slight exageration. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not by much - they're incredibly sensitive to EM, so a thunderstorm would probably be enough to block them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

You'de think those "Transport Inhibitors" would be put on every federation ship? Whatever powercell they use is small, so when shields fail they oughta just turn a couple of those things on...
Actually what I would like to see is this; We know there are half a billion substances that block transporters naturally, why not put a lining of that between the hulls, I mean according to DITL modern ships have double hulls so in between that you through a layer of Substance of the Week that magically blocks transporters. As an added bonus the enemy likely won't be able to scan the inside of your ship since they generally tend to block that too. If you leave a few points open or with a 'retractable cover' then you can still transport out while screwing the other guy over for 0 energy.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I like it. Except that would inhibit crew rescues via transporter as well.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

KM wrote:If you leave a few points open or with a 'retractable cover' then you can still transport out while screwing the other guy over for 0 energy.
You just 'retract' the area directly on the transport emmiter and beam in or out at needed, kind of like the Ablative Armour on Voyager's Weapons in Endgame type deal.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I mean, evacuating the entire crew from a ship with the material. Like in the event of a core breach.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Can <any> Starfleet ship operate in atmosphere?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I would guess so, though being able to land seems to be a pretty rare feature.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Bryan Moore wrote:Can <any> Starfleet ship operate in atmosphere?

Well, we've seen the unrefit E-nil inside Earth's atmosphere before.

We've seen the Defiant in an atmosphere.

We've seen Voyager land on planets several times, and even battle inside an atmosphere.

We've seen the Stardrive of the E-D operate in the upper atmosphere to engage an enemy
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

KuvahMagh wrote:Actually what I would like to see is this; We know there are half a billion substances that block transporters naturally, why not put a lining of that between the hulls, I mean according to DITL modern ships have double hulls so in between that you through a layer of Substance of the Week that magically blocks transporters. As an added bonus the enemy likely won't be able to scan the inside of your ship since they generally tend to block that too. If you leave a few points open or with a 'retractable cover' then you can still transport out while screwing the other guy over for 0 energy.
Victurium alloy would work - it's part of Oberth class emergency bulkheads, and effectively blocks both transporters and sensors. From "Hero Worship".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.