George Takei calls for Star Wars and Star Trek fans to unite

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: George Takei calls for Star Wars and Star Trek fans to u

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I read the first one. The prose is so purple it's like it went ten rounds with Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson at the same time.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I think I'll not then.
ImageImage
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Good move, Alex. Very good move... ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Seconded. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Heartily thirded, as I can tell from personal experience.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Robert Pattinson insulting Twilight:
He’s creeped out by the book, and its author, Stephenie Meyer:
“When I read it … I was convinced that Stephenie was convinced that she was Bella, and … It was like it was a book that wasn’t supposed to be published, like reading her - her sort of sexual fantasy about some - especially when she says that it was based on a dream, and it’s like, ‘Oh, then I had a dream about this really sexy guy’ and she just writes this book about it, and there’s some things about Edward that are just so specific that … I was just convinced that this woman is mad, she’s completely mad, and she’s in love with her own fictional creation.
“And I sometimes … Feel uncomfortable reading this thing, and I think a lot of people feel the same way, that it’s kind of voyeuristic … It creates this sick pleasure in a lot of ways.”
(From a 2008 video interview with E!Online, which has been widely quoted but since removed.)
He can’t stand Edward Cullen:
“Girls often say that Edward’s ‘sooo perfect,’ but he’s not. I do not like people who try to exert control in a relationship, when there is an imbalance. This is very wrong and very strange.”
- Last month, at a Q&A in Brussels.
“… The more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that’s how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself.”
- October 2008, to Empire magazine
He thinks the Breaking Dawn plot is ludicrous:
“Have sex, demon baby. No, they get married first, demon baby, Jacob falls in love with the little baby [laughs], then everyone tries to kill each other, but nothing happens. Oh, that’s the second one [laughs even harder].”- July, at ComicCon.
And - horror - he mocks the highly-anticipated sex scene. (For non-Twihards: in the book, Edward gets fairly rough on honeymoon, and hates himself for hurting Bella.)
“I wanted to have it as a line so much. [He switches to an ‘Edward’ accent] ‘I bit through all the pillows. Every. Single. One.’ And then he’d start crying. By the way, that’s what he should be ashamed of in the morning. All those beautiful pillows! Egyptian cotton! (Laughs) ‘I ruined this bed!’”
- August, to Entertainment Weekly.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

And this:
"But when a saga popular with pre-adolescent girls peaks romantically on a night that leaves the heroine to wake up covered with bruises in the shape of her husband's hands — and when that heroine then spends the morning explaining to her husband that she's incredibly happy even though he injured her, and that it's not his fault because she understands he couldn't help it in light of the depth of his passion — that's profoundly irresponsible.

Yes, we're all having a good yuk over the unhinged quality of it all. And yes, it's a movie with a monster baby. (And an angry argument among a pack of wolves that's about as menacing as an outtake from Oliver & Company.)

But romanticizing an intimate relationship that leaves bruises and scars is a particularly terrible idea in a film aimed at girls. Talking about this is tiresome, but then so is putting it in the movie. From depicting the loss of virginity as a naturally violent, frightening, physically dangerous experience to making Bella a woman with no life at all outside of her literally all-consuming pregnancy, the narrative sledgehammers are all as distasteful as they are inelegant."

Source
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

From Slave to Princess
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Royal_Foxx wrote:Robert Pattinson insulting Twilight:
He’s creeped out by the book, and its author, Stephenie Meyer:
“When I read it … I was convinced that Stephenie was convinced that she was Bella, and … It was like it was a book that wasn’t supposed to be published, like reading her - her sort of sexual fantasy about some - especially when she says that it was based on a dream, and it’s like, ‘Oh, then I had a dream about this really sexy guy’ and she just writes this book about it, and there’s some things about Edward that are just so specific that … I was just convinced that this woman is mad, she’s completely mad, and she’s in love with her own fictional creation.
“And I sometimes … Feel uncomfortable reading this thing, and I think a lot of people feel the same way, that it’s kind of voyeuristic … It creates this sick pleasure in a lot of ways.”
(From a 2008 video interview with E!Online, which has been widely quoted but since removed.)
He can’t stand Edward Cullen:
“Girls often say that Edward’s ‘sooo perfect,’ but he’s not. I do not like people who try to exert control in a relationship, when there is an imbalance. This is very wrong and very strange.”
- Last month, at a Q&A in Brussels.
“… The more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that’s how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself.”
- October 2008, to Empire magazine
He thinks the Breaking Dawn plot is ludicrous:
“Have sex, demon baby. No, they get married first, demon baby, Jacob falls in love with the little baby [laughs], then everyone tries to kill each other, but nothing happens. Oh, that’s the second one [laughs even harder].”- July, at ComicCon.
And - horror - he mocks the highly-anticipated sex scene. (For non-Twihards: in the book, Edward gets fairly rough on honeymoon, and hates himself for hurting Bella.)
“I wanted to have it as a line so much. [He switches to an ‘Edward’ accent] ‘I bit through all the pillows. Every. Single. One.’ And then he’d start crying. By the way, that’s what he should be ashamed of in the morning. All those beautiful pillows! Egyptian cotton! (Laughs) ‘I ruined this bed!’”
- August, to Entertainment Weekly.
Well, I feel the same way he does. That just makes me like him as an actor even more, being able to play the role of something he hates and doing so convincingly, but for his paychecks I'd probably play the part of something I really don't like, too.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ugh. I had no idea that this sort of thing took place in these movies. Did anyone think of throwing in a one-liner aimed at all these teeny-boppers to the effect of "it's not OK for someone to hurt you, even if he says he loves you?"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tales place in the books, too, IIRC. :bangwall: :madashell:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So this woman decided to write a book, see the following that it attains among young women, and then make a sequel which disseminates the message that it's Just peachy for your significant other to hurt you? Sounds like she needs a severe ass-whipping (administered by a woman, of course) followed by prolonged therapy and a lifetime ban on anything with which a person could write.
as Bull offed Custer
Angharrad
Captain
Captain

Post by Angharrad »

Mikey wrote:So this woman decided to write a book, see the following that it attains among young women, and then make a sequel which disseminates the message that it's Just peachy for your significant other to hurt you? Sounds like she needs a severe ass-whipping (administered by a woman, of course) followed by prolonged therapy and a lifetime ban on anything with which a person could write.
I'm up for that. I could do it too. !ouch)

From Slave to Princess
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Of course, because of legal culpability I cannot endorse this course of action. *cough*
as Bull offed Custer
Angharrad
Captain
Captain

Post by Angharrad »

Mikey wrote:Of course, because of legal culpability I cannot endorse this course of action. *cough*
Uhhhh, *delete* *delete* *delete*

You said something? *Innocent face*

From Slave to Princess
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Look on the bright side - at least she hasn't threatened to rip anyone's trachea out over complaints about her maths.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.