NX Class

Enterprise
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Interior-wise (except for being slightly too roomy), the NX was perfect. And I like the argument that TOS ships had some kind of different heavy armor, less windows, etc. to protect against Klingon torpedo tech. After all, present ship design is based on the most prominent current threat (people have declared the battleship obsolete, some are even arguing that Main Battle Tanks are obsolete, as well as the need for fighter pilots), not some unknown future threat.

So, it makes sense that Federation designs would evolve based around who they considered to be the greatest current danger.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

True - the interiors were very well designed and IMO fit into the time frame well. I just wish the show had actually shown some awareness of the 'Trek universe and came up with a ship design that actually made some logical continuity instead of going for the cheap thrill.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The tech in it annoys me more than the design. I dont find it to hard to believe they could have a design like that then afterwards make an Constition type starship. They have a lot tech then.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes, the tech is as bad as the ship design - apparent pre-phaser tech, when in "The Cage" we saw both personal and ship-mounted lasers, et. al.; another diregard of continuity in the name of onscreen flash and sizzle.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I certainly would've gone with lasers and nukes for offensive capabilities, and heavy armor for defense. No transporters (or, at least, VERY unreliable ones), and have the ship take WAY longer to get anywhere (like Graham suggested). Oh, and hand-held projectile weapons in the first season, eventually giving way to bulky hand-held lasers afterwards (also like Graham suggested).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The blatant disregard for sensible handling of the speed of the ship is probably an entirely differnetly subject. But offensive weapons SHOULD have been the cutting edge of primitive, if that makes any sense. Guided missiles with thermobaric warheads, MASERs and LASERs, maybe even rail guns.

As far as defense, I would have been happy with anything that could have been explained in any sense at all... :?
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rail guns (and coil guns) are SERIOUS business. Get an object the size of an orange with the mass of a sedan moving at even 25% of light speed... Brother, that is a LOT of E.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Probably more powerful than a phaser would be anyway.

I don't think they should have expanded the length between stars from our perspective as that would be very boring, but lengthen the time between when episodes are suppose to take place. Instead of every week or two have a mission every month or so. Unlike the other series you have a lot of time to fill so no need to rush it. I did think they did a good job with that in the Xindi story arc though.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

To a degree, yes. I didn't really mean half of the season would be them playing ping-pong in the mess hall or something ( :lol: ), just that , like you said, the time period should advance in between episodes. And, if they had to travel a great distance in one episode, it would be referenced in the dates.

BTW, how did they have a bunch of non-synthesized food stores on board all the time? It would've been nice to see them stopping by a colony planet or meeting up with a resupply vessel every once in a while at least. (fuel, spare parts, replacement uniforms, more de-con gel, etc.)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:The blatant disregard for sensible handling of the speed of the ship is probably an entirely differnetly subject.
I never saw a problem with the speed - Trek has never been consistent in that regard, that's why the "warp highway" idea sprang up, to try and reconcile the wildly varying speeds of the ship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It is still pretty lazy of them. There are so many calculators around that they could use but dont.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi - yeah, it's a lot, but modern rail guns don't have the range for spaceship-to-spaceship combat, so I figured some other licenses could be taken as well. Besides, navigational deflectors do take the edge off of purely kinetic attacks.

In general, the laziness which Teaos pointed out is just syptomatic of the entire writing approach to the show.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Tsukiyumi - yeah, it's a lot, but modern rail guns don't have the range for spaceship-to-spaceship combat, so I figured some other licenses could be taken as well. Besides, navigational deflectors do take the edge off of purely kinetic attacks.
Why wouldn't they have the range? It's not as if they're going to have problems with gravity arcing or air resistance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well Mikey, this show is 150 years in the future, and with the Eugenics war and World War III I could see more powerful railguns being built, and they are fighting in space. There is nothing to slow a kinetic attack and effect the range. Railguns, nukes and point-defense lasers, now that's a recipe pre-TOS series battle.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Why wouldn't they have the range?
I never said that they wouldn't - I said that CYRRENTLY, in RL, they don't. I am not an expert in magnetodynamics or ballistics, and I don't claim to be. I just know that they don't, right now, and that was all I said.
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Railguns, nukes and point-defense lasers, now that's a recipe pre-TOS series battle.
That's why I mentioned it! That, and the fact that the current RL tech advancements SEEM to be coming in areas such as LASERs, MASERs, and rail guns. These are things which the USN et. al. look to be able to field (not test, field) in the next 15-20 yrs.
as Bull offed Custer