Dominion War Refit Galaxy-class vs Negh'var-class Cruiser

Deep Space Nine
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Dominion War Refit Galaxy-class vs Negh'var-class Cruiser

Post by McAvoy »

In the very first episode with I dunno 10 minutes into it, the Enterprise showed that it turned within a few lengths of herself to get away from the Q Barrier in Encounter at Farpoint.

I would have read the TNG TM, but I think they maybe more than just the impulse drive doing all the work in manuevering.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Even a few lengths of her body is still a couple of kilometers.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Teaos wrote:Even a few lengths of her body is still a couple of kilometers.
In "Data's Day" (4th season TNG), the E-D does a 180 from a dead stop in a few seconds, and at most takes twice its length to turn, so no more then 1300 meters.
Pretty tight for such a big and ungainly ship...
After, in another franchise, Starfighters need a few ship lengths to do the same... :mrgreen:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well 642 meters ship taking only a couple of kilometers are moderately high speed is not that bad. The Iowa class battleships take 814 yards at 30 knots to turn. That's 2.75x their length, for example.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Praeothmin wrote:
In "Data's Day" (4th season TNG), the E-D does a 180 from a dead stop in a few seconds, and at most takes twice its length to turn, so no more then 1300 meters.
Pretty tight for such a big and ungainly ship...
After, in another franchise, Starfighters need a few ship lengths to do the same... :mrgreen:
Yeah but the faster you go, the longer it takes to turn. Which shouldn't be that much an issue in space, except most of the time they act like aircraft. :roll:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The only Starfleet ship that remotely acts like an aircraft is the Defiant. Voyager may have moved a bit quicker than the Galaxy or a Sovereign because she was smaller and was stated to be like that early on.

It seemed to me only the smaller ships acted like fighters and the larger ships either appeared stationary or moved fairly slow. It's not like the two Galaxys that took down the Galor in Sacrfice of Angels did circles around the ship. They did it fairly slow, and almost like a 'ship of the line' style... except in space.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I think he's reffering to their flight paths most of the time...the fx dudes made the ships maneuver like fighters, even though in space there's no air, or gravity, and inertia is going to have a much bigger effect.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It would be hard to get your head around movement in space for most FX graphical artists.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

nBSG had a fair stab at it, and pulled Newtonian maneouvering off fairly well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I think he's reffering to their flight paths most of the time...the fx dudes made the ships maneuver like fighters, even though in space there's no air, or gravity, and inertia is going to have a much bigger effect.
Bingo, thank you. :)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:nBSG had a fair stab at it, and pulled Newtonian maneouvering off fairly well.
nBSG did most everything in that area well.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Babylon did a pretty good job of it too - the Starfury's would often be seen flipping around to target a pursuing enemy whislt still moving in the same direction, or flipping 90 degrees in order to strafe a Battleship.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Them too. I think we even voted the Starfury as the greatest SciFi fighter at some point.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:I think he's reffering to their flight paths most of the time...the fx dudes made the ships maneuver like fighters, even though in space there's no air, or gravity, and inertia is going to have a much bigger effect.
Bingo, thank you. :)
no prob...I remember watching a "Star Wars Tech" show on History channel where some NASA engineers took a look at the flight paths from the X-Wings and demonstrated that for a ship to fly like that in space, there would have to be around 80 pneumatic engines all around the ship, most of which were in places that wouldn't work well (like 10 of them on the nose of the ship, and two actually in the glass covering the cockpit.)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Remember SOD... not the "Shit on Details" one...