This is gonna piss a lot of people off...

The Original Series
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: This is gonna **** a lot of people off...

Post by stitch626 »

Actually, PTs only travel at warp if fired at warp.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So then, it WOULD be possible to dodge a torpedo like that?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Yup. Even if they were capable of warp, they've never demonstrated the sort of 90-degree snap-turn that would have been needed to go after the E-A.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, PT's don't seem to have great maneuverability.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Except for one modified by Spock. :)
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Even that wasn't great - it was manoeuvering, but in big lazy turns.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

True. Actually, this brings up one of my pet peeves of Star Trek ship battles in games. The torpedoes can manouver so easilly, they almost always hit.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Re: This is gonna piss a lot of people off...

Post by thelordharry »

So. If they're going for a franchise 'reboot' wouldn't that be the perfect opportunity to pretend that Kirk was never killed off? I wonder if that's part of the plan now?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Why wouldnt you want Kirk to die when he did? Sure die in a better way but its good that he died. He was old, move on.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Besides, he would have died of old age by TNG anyway.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I agree with killing Kirk off, but kill him off in a good way. Like sacraficing himself to save Earth against some uber-evil threat.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Think I'd better clarify my position on this one. I really hope the writers do not use a reboot as a cheap excuse to get our old mate Wlliam Shatner-Sings into the film but I wonder if they would? Certainly, he would have died of old age by TNG time but in a new reality and plot trickery....well, what if he didn't die after his and Picard's fight against Soran (or any other convoluted plot you can think of that keeps Kirk alive until the late 2300's). After Spock returns from trying to sort out the changes to the timeline that those naughty Romulans have made, he finds Kirk at SF HQ singing 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds' etc etc

All I'm saying is, when you wipe the slate clean, it opens up a lot of possibilities.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Shatner has already stated his displeasure at being left out of the movie, so I'm guessing they aren't bringing him back.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I don't understand why they had to kill Kirk off at all. They could have just let him retire and fade out into the mists of time. Picard and crew were already firmly ensconced in their place in history. Wasn't really a need to kill off Kirk.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:I don't understand why they had to kill Kirk off at all. They could have just let him retire and fade out into the mists of time. Picard and crew were already firmly ensconced in their place in history. Wasn't really a need to kill off Kirk.
As a concept, to pass the baton of Trek films from TOS to TNG, it was a good idea. The TOS cast had had their swansong in ST6, but that had been strictly their film, not a handover. By killing Kirk, a clean break could be made between the old and the new. The biggest problems were a) making sure the handover wasn't too Kirk-centric, and b) giving him a suitable last hurrah. They achieved the first, but failed dismally at the second.