Acquisition

Enterprise
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

says you! last time, i tried that, was whilst playing D&D, got so paralytic (thanks to a stunner called 'samantha') that not only was i immoblised, but folks were scrawling on me,with biro pens!
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The good old days, nothing like a wimp to make a fun night!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

well to be fair, am only a wimp if absolutely blotto on alot of alcohol tanked down very quickly, so am a were-wimp
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:You just need Jack Daniels. Nothing else will do!
Sez you. REAL whiskey comes from Bourbon county, Kentucky. All that extra charcoal that JD uses takes all the fun right out.

Maker's Mark when I can afford it, Wild Turkey when I can't, and anything with a label on it after I've had enough. Plus, the 18-yr. old bottle of Elijah Wood single barrel I've got - but that's only for special occasions... and, it's delicious, but it goes down like sulfuric acid mixed with stinging nettles.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

You're all wrong, the only two places that produce decent wisky are Scotland and Ireland - you can't beat a Jameson or Glenfiddich.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:You're all wrong, the only two places that produce decent wisky are Scotland and Ireland - you can't beat a Jameson or Glenfiddich.
Then why do all the best Scotch distilleries use discarded Borubon barrels? :wink:

Of course, we're all talking about a matter of personal palette. I've never been a Scotch drinker, but I do enjoy a neat Jameson. And I have had the dubious pleasure of drinking potcheen (sp.?) on one occasion - Irish backyard potato spirits - and let me tell you, it makes American "white lightning" taste like well water.

And if anyone is interested in a unique insight into the Slavic mindset, try Slivowitz (sp.?). It's a Serbian plum brandy - nominally - and after a night with that, I actually had a yo-yo bounced from range off my forehead, which I didn't know about until I was told the next day.
as Bull offed Custer
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Yes you can, Glenmorangie, Jura, Highland Park, Glenlivet, Bowmore, Laphroaig and many others. IMO of course, there are few things as subjective as whisky preference.
Trouble is if I ever get a bottle of malt as a present it tends to be Glenfiddich, just about my least favourite, but the highest profile.
Irish Whiskey I'm fairly ambivalent about - though I haven't tried that many -Bushmills been the best of them. However, Jamesons is a good choice if I'm on whiskey on a night out; a lot of pubs and clubs in my area have poor selections (often just lager, alcopops, vodka and a few other spirits) so it often comes down to Jamesons blended irish versus blended Scotch and Jack Daniels, and Jamesons wins hands down.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Of course, we're all forgetting about one of the true sublime pleasures in life - an extra-dry Tanqueray martini, twist, no olive.
as Bull offed Custer
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I've never actually tried a martini. It seems impossible to order one without looking like you are trying to channel James Bond, and I could never bring myself to utter the line.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, there are problems involved in ordering a martini. "Shaken, not stirred" should never need to be said - any decent upscale bartender knows that you stir drinks with fruit juice or similar ingredients, and shake other types of cocktails. However, I am often asked if I want my martini or gibson up, or on the rocks. A martini on the rocks is fairly heretical thinking, and my usual response is, "Actually, I asked for a martini." That, and a preemptive reduction in the tip.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Deep Space Nine had Quark at the station for a while. Voyager retconned the Borg into rumors. With the Ferengi, I have no problem with them showing up earlier. It's a good retcon, if it is a retcon.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Then something should have been mentioned onscreen to explain why the E-D crew thought that they were making first contact.
as Bull offed Custer