Laser stats or The ENT Stats

Should we use the weapons and tech like lasers etc or phase cannons etc?

Lasers, Spatial atomic torpedoes, Superconductive armour
53%
Phase cannons, Photonic torpedoes and Polarized hull plating
47%

Total votes: 15
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Laser stats or The ENT Stats

Post by Monroe »

Okay well if we're going to do the fake Star Trek then we need to decide on a whole host of issues:

Is the Federation in existance?
members?
main weapon?
torpedo type?
medical technology?
enemy?
territory?
transporter?
shuttle craft?
warp speed?
how long of starring at space while traveling at warp 3?
Vulcan jerks?
shields?
polarized armor?
normal armor?
navigational shield?
food?
replicator?
protein synthazier?
rank structure?
MACROs?
different nations?
What kind of lasers are there? The fake kind in The Cage or real life kind?
Explaination for why every planet looks the same?
Decon chamber?
uniforms?
NX class?
Neptune Class?
Romulan ships?
Romulan Empire?
Romulan technology?
Klingon's foreheads?
grav plating?
megnetic shoes?
Xindi?
Earth's current state?
Global Warming?
Earth's fleet size?
Earth's colonies?
Earth's trading partners?

There's just so many things that ENT covered. Seems like a really bad idea to base an RP in that time period and not know whats fact for our RP and what isn't.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

AFAIK the only thing we're changing is the outfitting of the ships. The Federation was founded in 2161, after the Romulan Wars as far as I can determine. So with that, no the Federation doesn't exist yet. Otherwise it wouldn't be an Enterprise era RP.
So my guess as to what we'll include (I think, I may be wrong, and again, I'll listen to the view of the pool):

Normal Hull Plating (or maybe Polarized Hull Plating that doesn't act like a deflector shield)
MACOS
NX-Class
we have to have Vulcan Jerks :-) (though they have seemd to mellowed a bit since the Kir'Shara incident--that arc I did see)
Trading Partners, say Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, Rigel(?)
Various Earth Colonies
Various "boomers" plying the space lanes
Protein Resequencer with the occasional supply stop or bartering for real food?
Say maybe a Warp 5.5 limit on the NX-Class?

--These are all just suggestions.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thats a good point actually. It might be a whole lot easier just to keep with canon. As in ENT established stuff.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Really, all we-those of us in favor of lasers and nukes- are doing (unless I missed something) is changing the weapons outloads of the NX-Class, or even only a select few of them. The Enterprise can keep her phase cannons and photonics and other such bs. Otherwise, the political spectrum remains the same, and we end with the NX-Class being replaced by the Daedalus.

As for the claim that Kirk worked in the Phaser Control Room on the Farragut (either this thread or another) it is entirely possible in the early 23rd century, phasers were used as main ship weapons until they could be minimized into the personal phasers we see the crew use.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

me,myself and I wrote:Really, all we-those of us in favor of lasers and nukes- are doing (unless I missed something) is changing the weapons outloads of the NX-Class, or even only a select few of them. The Enterprise can keep her phase cannons and photonics and other such bs. Otherwise, the political spectrum remains the same, and we end with the NX-Class being replaced by the Daedalus.

As for the claim that Kirk worked in the Phaser Control Room on the Farragut (either this thread or another) it is entirely possible in the early 23rd century, phasers were used as main ship weapons until they could be minimized into the personal phasers we see the crew use.

Don't forget that the Big E was out for years at a time and may not have had a refit for years. Depending on when Kirk served on the Farragut may put him into a zone where she had them but the Big E didn't. He was the youngest Captain in SF history don't forget, shot up through the ranks.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Good point.
But what does Pike use? It can't be a laser since it sure as hell doesn't act like one. I guess we'll have to wait until the movie before we know for sure.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

My two cents:

Monroe wrote:Okay well if we're going to do the fake Star Trek then we need to decide on a whole host of issues:

No. Perhaps it's a few years after they signed that treaty at end of ENT
members?
The treaty signers from above.
main weapon?
Lasers.
torpedo type?
Nukes, dial a yield in a similar setting pattern to a modern one. Maxium 5mt anti-ship. Have a few higher yield on board for emergencies (planetary bombardment and such)
medical technology?
A cross between what we have now and some of the more realistic things from ENT.
enemy?
Klingons, Orions, the odd Romulan renegade
territory?
Who's?
transporter?
Cargo only
shuttle craft?
A minimum of two plus a large cargo shuttle/lander
warp speed?
Pardon?
Vulcan jerks?
Perhaps some, the majority should be the classic TOS vulcans. Supposadly they were like that for thousands of years.
shields?
On some enemy and friendly vessels, not on the Buran.
polarized armor?
normal armor?
Either something like the stuff in development (polarized with electricity), superconducting or regula armor. But have it actually have to be replaced in drydock, it is armor, it should wear out.
navigational shield?
A nav deflector, their already established in Trek
food?
Yes, have a galley.
replicator?
No
protein synthazier?
Yes
rank structure?
Use an actual Naval system. Which is the standard Trek officer ranks plus real ranks for the enlisted rather than every one being a crewman.
MACROs?
Or something like them.
different nations?
Honestly, we should have as many RL nations represented as we can. MAybe I'll switch from a Tellarite into a stereotypical Canadian.
RL, Graham had an excellent idea for some.
Ugh, lets avoid this by having planets that actually look different than a rock quarry.
Decon chamber?
A must thanks to not having a transporter and such. But a real one, not the softcore oil rubdown kind.
uniforms?
Flight suits for shipboard use. Fatigues (in an appropriate colour) for surface use, including climate specific. Fatigues could be say, dark grey. Not for camoflague but to indicate what service they belong to and be more useful for planetside use.
NX class?
Aren't we using one?
Neptune Class?
Why not. A short range defense craft.
Romulan ships?
Yes, something comparable to what we're using.
Romulan Empire?
Yes, it exists pre-tos.
Romulan technology?
Comparable to us.
Klingon's foreheads?
No.
grav plating?
Yes, if for nothing than easy story telling
megnetic shoes?
Yes
Xindi?
No
Earth's current state?
United though with some political tensions over who has more control over colonies and SF staff, equipment etc.
Global Warming?
Averted by the massive nuclear war perhaps.
Earth's fleet size?
Buran can be the latest and greatest NX, so six NX's and a dozen or so smaller ships.
Earth's colonies?
A half dozen or small colonies, have the solar sytem extensively colonised and used for resource extraction.
Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, it's colonies.
There's just so many things that ENT covered. Seems like a really bad idea to base an RP in that time period and not know whats fact for our RP and what isn't.
Take the least offensive parts of ENT canon, combine them with TOS and what people think should have happened. Or just take ENT and swap the tech.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:Good point.
But what does Pike use? It can't be a laser since it sure as hell doesn't act like one. I guess we'll have to wait until the movie before we know for sure.
When he blasts the rock?

Edit: maybe it was a phaser and like certain SW tech, he just called it a laser because it's a holdover term or it was what he was used to and they just got issued.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

personally, i sincerely dislike half of what Kendall put up but thats my opinion.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:personally, i sincerely dislike half of what Kendall put up but thats my opinion.
Well it's my two cents for a reason, anyone is welcome to disagree.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

i disagree. i cant be arsed to go through and pick the stuff out but ya.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote:My two cents:

Monroe wrote:Okay well if we're going to do the fake Star Trek then we need to decide on a whole host of issues:

No. Perhaps it's a few years after they signed that treaty at end of ENT
members?
The treaty signers from above.
main weapon?
Lasers.
torpedo type?
Nukes, dial a yield in a similar setting pattern to a modern one. Maxium 5mt anti-ship. Have a few higher yield on board for emergencies (planetary bombardment and such)
medical technology?
A cross between what we have now and some of the more realistic things from ENT.
enemy?
Klingons, Orions, the odd Romulan renegade
territory?
Who's?
transporter?
Cargo only
shuttle craft?
A minimum of two plus a large cargo shuttle/lander
warp speed?
Pardon?
Vulcan jerks?
Perhaps some, the majority should be the classic TOS vulcans. Supposadly they were like that for thousands of years.
shields?
On some enemy and friendly vessels, not on the Buran.
polarized armor?
normal armor?
Either something like the stuff in development (polarized with electricity), superconducting or regula armor. But have it actually have to be replaced in drydock, it is armor, it should wear out.
navigational shield?
A nav deflector, their already established in Trek
food?
Yes, have a galley.
replicator?
No
protein synthazier?
Yes
rank structure?
Use an actual Naval system. Which is the standard Trek officer ranks plus real ranks for the enlisted rather than every one being a crewman.
MACROs?
Or something like them.
different nations?
Honestly, we should have as many RL nations represented as we can. MAybe I'll switch from a Tellarite into a stereotypical Canadian.
RL, Graham had an excellent idea for some.
Ugh, lets avoid this by having planets that actually look different than a rock quarry.
Decon chamber?
A must thanks to not having a transporter and such. But a real one, not the softcore oil rubdown kind.
uniforms?
Flight suits for shipboard use. Fatigues (in an appropriate colour) for surface use, including climate specific. Fatigues could be say, dark grey. Not for camoflague but to indicate what service they belong to and be more useful for planetside use.
NX class?
Aren't we using one?
Neptune Class?
Why not. A short range defense craft.
Romulan ships?
Yes, something comparable to what we're using.
Romulan Empire?
Yes, it exists pre-tos.
Romulan technology?
Comparable to us.
Klingon's foreheads?
No.
grav plating?
Yes, if for nothing than easy story telling
megnetic shoes?
Yes
Xindi?
No
Earth's current state?
United though with some political tensions over who has more control over colonies and SF staff, equipment etc.
Global Warming?
Averted by the massive nuclear war perhaps.
Earth's fleet size?
Buran can be the latest and greatest NX, so six NX's and a dozen or so smaller ships.
Earth's colonies?
A half dozen or small colonies, have the solar sytem extensively colonised and used for resource extraction.
Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, it's colonies.
Take the least offensive parts of ENT canon, combine them with TOS and what people think should have happened. Or just take ENT and swap the tech.

I like it.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Monroe wrote:Good point.
When he blasts the rock?

Edit: maybe it was a phaser and like certain SW tech, he just called it a laser because it's a holdover term or it was what he was used to and they just got issued.
The 'laser cannon' was never actually called a laser in the show. The production crew just started calling it that. From Memory Alpha:
It should be noted that the devices in "The Cage" and "Demons" were never mentioned on-screen to be laser cannons. In fact the first draft outline of "The Cage" calls the device as one of the vessel's huge matter-converters; focusing it's conversion on the rock, instread of a laser beam. The term laser cannon however began to be used soon after by Gene Roddenberry and production staff.
Thats a good point actually. It might be a whole lot easier just to keep with canon. As in ENT established stuff.
That's what I've been trying to explain

I would also like to say, shame on anyone who thinks we should put this RP on an NX-class ship but have it have downgraded weapons for no logical reason. That makes you as bad as the guys who altered canon in Enterprise in the first place. No, actually it makes you worse because they were forced to do a lot of their stuff by the studios whereas you guys had a choice.

Now I have a few possible(and reasonable) solutions.

1) We put the RP on a class older then the NX(like the Intrepid or Neptune class ships), thus explaining why it would have more primitive weapons.

2) We put the RP on an NX-class ship and keep the canon weapons

3) Create two different RPs. One would be based on the real Star Trek universe with Phase Pistols and Photonic torpedoes, while the second is some parallel universe based on pre-Enterprise canon/fanon with lasers, atomic torpedoes, andorians who's antenna don't move, and Romulans without warp drives.

If anyone has a better suggestion please feel free to suggest it.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

option 3 seems prudent.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
No, actually it makes you worse because they were forced to do a lot of their stuff by the studios whereas you guys had a choice.
They had a choice as well, they could've told the studio to shove it up their collective rears, but they didn't. We shouldn't try and fix the mistakes that were made? Daystrom itself isn't canon, theres no such thing as the Brotherhood, the possibility of a Tholian in Star Fleet is incredibly unlikely.
chakatblackstar wrote:Now I have a few possible(and reasonable) solutions.

1) We put the RP on a class older then the NX(like the Intrepid or Neptune class ships), thus explaining why it would have more primitive weapons.

2) We put the RP on an NX-class ship and keep the canon weapons

3) Create two different RPs. One would be based on the real Star Trek universe with Phase Pistols and Photonic torpedoes, while the second is some parallel universe based on pre-Enterprise canon/fanon with lasers, atomic torpedoes, andorians who's antenna don't move, and Romulans without warp drives.

If anyone has a better suggestion please feel free to suggest it.
I'm willing to abide by whatever decision is made. I'll participate in an Ent. era RP regardless of tech. I kinda like option 1 though. It's different.

4) We place it on an NX ship with weapons they should've had and come up with some sort of economy-related reason they don't have the advanced weaponry. After all, Earth only had so many resources at the time, not the near limitless resources of the Federation