Was the Federation-class ever refitted?

The Original Series
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:Why would technology be a problem? If I were to set the premise for the next series (in a decade or so at least), I'd advance it a few centuries, and set it aboard Starfleet's first interstellar explorer, the USS Enterprise (of course) NCC-1701-K (or some such high letter). The Federation would be a Galactic power, with the Klingons and Cardassians (and possibly the Romulans) as member races, allied with the Dominion (massively changed by Odo's reforms), and pushing back the Borg. The main "new" species, and the focus of the series' adventures, would be from the Magellanic Clouds, and possibly Andromeda.
But wasnt' Andromeda a dying Galaxy or something? That whole thing with the Kelvans or whatever they were called.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

A show that far in the future would be so different to all we know about trek it would be to far to fast. Also I think the Borg are either going to be dead or masters of the universe within one hundred years from "Endgame"

Personally I'd like it in 2400. The Cardassians have just joined, the Romulans have been thrown into chaos and are split into multiple factions, some allies some not. Klingons are trying to maintain their independence while still being allies of the Feds.

The Dominion has gone isolationist and the Borg are still recovering.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:But wasnt' Andromeda a dying Galaxy or something? That whole thing with the Kelvans or whatever they were called.
The Kelvans stated that:
Within ten millennia, high radiation levels in our galaxy will make life there impossible. So the Kelvan Empire sent forth ships to explore other galaxies, to search for one which our race could conquer and occupy.
This can be ignored for all intents and purposes (this would be within half a millenia of "By Any Other Name"), or perhaps mentioned in passing as an homage to TOS. Alternatively, the Kelvans might simply be wrong, and newer science could demonstrate that their predictions were in someway flawed. Insert a technobabble reason of your choice. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I actually tend to agree with Teaos. Something far enough ahead that it wouldn't interfere directly w/ DS9, but close enough that we can see the directly-correlated effects of the Dominion War unfolding: the joining/further alliance w/ the Klingon Empire, the resultant effects on the RSE and the CU, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:I actually tend to agree with Teaos. Something far enough ahead that it wouldn't interfere directly w/ DS9, but close enough that we can see the directly-correlated effects of the Dominion War unfolding: the joining/further alliance w/ the Klingon Empire, the resultant effects on the RSE and the CU, etc.
I think the DS9 war arc has had its moment and should be allowed to fall away nicely into Trek history. If you mean a few references here and there to what happened after the war that of course would be natural and expected. But I think getting locked into DS9's popularity would be a mistake for the series and even though there has been some bad management, I do agree with their insistence on breaking off and trying totally different angles of the universe.

One concept I thought was neat in Voyager, and was never really developed, was the Federation/Maquis tension. I think another series having that in some form--- either a ship with a race that had only recently joined the Federation, or even an expermental Federation-Romulan or Federation-(Anyone but Klingons/cardassians) joint operation would be neat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I do agree with the need for enough separation from DS9. What I meant, and didn't articulate very well, was something in which we could see the effects of the Dominion War and trace a clear line of causality to it; not a simple continuation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If you go 50 years in the future like we want you still have vets the the politics will still be around but its moved on enough to let the show have its own story.

If you go hundreds of years... when was the last time you heard someone mention the Bore War?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Since the political element was one of the features that made DS9 a great show, it would be wise to follow this successful precedent. The political upheaval in the aftermath of the war would indeed make a good setting; it's a good opportunity if executed well. There would need to be some elements distinguishing it from DS9, indeed, distinctive elements all it's own.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:If you go hundreds of years... when was the last time you heard someone mention the Bore War?
The Boer War? Rarely. The First World War, the US Civil War (in the US at least), the Napoleonic Wars? Plenty. The Dominion War is far closer to them in importance than a minor colonial scuffle.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:
If you go hundreds of years... when was the last time you heard someone mention the Bore War?
The average person, berely ever. In the military community, last night. It's the 108th anniversary of the Battle of Leliefontein this November and a bunch of the regiments are gearing up for a ball and other functions.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The point is they put such a huge effort in setting up the politics of DS9 era and it would be very wasteful to go so far into the future you basically throw it away.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Why? The purpose of entertainment is to entertain, and the political machinations of DS9 served that purpose. To keep going on and on about that small period of Trek history would rapidly become boring. You can refer back to it as a crucial time, just as the TNG era refered back to TOS, but you don't need to look in detail at the aftermath of the war.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:The point is they put such a huge effort in setting up the politics of DS9 era and it would be very wasteful to go so far into the future you basically throw it away.
Indeed, realistically it would be a topic of conversation within the Fleet for decades and would shape future policy for the same. It would be a disservice to just throw everything away, ideally it would be set far enough forward that it would be a living memory but not so close to cause the ship in the new series to be running relief operations to Cardassia every other week.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The early 2400's would be ideal. Living with the aftermath but still moved on.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:The early 2400's would be ideal. Living with the aftermath but still moved on.
Dumb question, what year did the Dominion War end?