Mobile browser users

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mobile browser users

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:It works fine on one of my phones browsers: The standard S60 V5 browser aboard a Nokia N97 mini.

However, it doesn't work on the Opera Mobile 10 beta for Series60 mobiles. It could be the way Opera is set up, but mobile version doesn't work.
Doesn't work in what way? are we still talking about text not showing up or something else?

I've one more idea, which I'll try and get too tomorrow.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

in opera mobile, it doesn't show in mobile mode. It may be a limitation of the system, it's designed to render full size pages on a mobile system.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:in opera mobile, it doesn't show in mobile mode. It may be a limitation of the system, it's designed to render full size pages on a mobile system.
Sorry to be picky but what doesn't show, is it just the menus or other things. As for the mobile pages they're exactly the same pages as the full site, just rearranged slightly to work better on a smaller screen.

If it's the menus that don't work can you confirm Mikey's issue that the main page does work and the sub-menus don't.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It's menus. And it mirrors the problem Mikey had.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, everything is exactly the same between the main menu and the sub-menus. If it doesn't work now then I'm at a bit of a loss to know why. Try it and do a force reload to make sure that everything is refreshed. If you see a problem with the main version of the site then a reload should fix that also.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hallelujah!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Cool
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

again no luck. I'll try it on the skyfire browser when i can download it on a wifi connected OVI. But it works fine on the symbian browser though.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I have been using the mobile site for quite a while now, and for the most part, I love it, however, Ian, I have some suggestions to make it less cluttered. First off, get rid of a lot of the data in the thread and Index page, for the Index page get rid of the description of the forum, it just makes it harder to scroll through, it's nice on the full site, but on the mobile site it's kind of pointless. Also get rid of the topic and post numbers, as well as the date of the last post, I mean again, it's nice on a real computer, on the mobile site it just gets in the way and makes it cluttered. The last posted in by thing can probably stay, IMO it isnt' needed, so I see no reason to keep it, if you go rid of that keeping the description of the forum area wouldn't be as much of a problem.
Ok, and now for the forums, again having all the information isn't needed, having the views and posts is unnecesary IMO, and gets annoying when trying to scroll having such large blocks. Keep the last posted by in as well as the thread starter, but the information besides that really isn't necesary in the mobile version at least. Most of it is novelties on a real computer and on a mobile device becomes a nuisance.

Also, in general, make the Index page, and the path to that thread slightly larger, at least on my iPod Touch it is very hard to press unless I zoom in, which on a mobile web page I would much rather not have to zoom in.

That's pretty much all, anything you need clarification on I would be glad to clarify. This is just a list of things that I think would make it feel much easier, as well as probably loading a bit faster.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I'll take a look when I get a chance.
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Thank you for all the work you've done on the site, it really is great that we have someone who is willing to do work for the members of the forum.
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I disagree with removing the time/date stamps on the posts. That's information at which I look, regardless of whether I'm at a PC or using my phone.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, fair enough, I personally find it useless, but I guess it depends on who it is.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've personally found it more than accessable on the Android Chrome-Lite browser....maybe thats just me :D
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Oh, I'm not saying I don't enjoy it, I'm just trying to give suggestions as to how to improve it.
The world ended